Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.

This is pure nonsense. Apparently you've been buying the Sears brand, not the
Craftsman brand. I've done nearly all my own automobile service since I was 18
(I'm in my 50s now), including several engine and transmission rebuilds, and
use almost nothing but Craftsman tools. In more than thirty years, I've had
exactly three Craftsman sockets fail in use.