Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

On Sep 27, 9:52*pm, fftt wrote:
On Sep 27, 11:41*am, Steve Barker wrote:

Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:02 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

*After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. *This was pre-me(g)rer, around
1985. *I don't know if craft(s)man was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craft(s)man from the 60's.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a
hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted
practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the
manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.

Joe

I agree with doug, *hell i can put down 40 ft lbs with a 3/8 ratchet and
one hand. *i've used craftsman chrome 6pt sockets exclusively , and have
never owned a set of impact sockets except for my reversible lug nut
socket. *And they've all been on the 3/8 drive and 1/2" drive impacts
from time to time.

Craftsman wrenches, ratchets & sockets are fine.
I've been using them for years and I cannot recall the last time I
broke a socket & whether it was even a Craftsman.

I've never broken a Craftsman wrench; and I used them in a heavy
structural engineering laboratory for nearly 20 years.

I think Snap-On tools are very nice....I have a Snap-On *"short
series" metric combination wrench set, it is a set of finely finished
wrenches that are a pleasure to use.

I was given them as a gift. *When I went to set up the laboratory, I
really wanted to go with Snap-On but in 1988 the Snap-On vs Craftsman
cost premium as 5x!

OP- * If you really need / want *a tool box like the one for
sale...get it. * I personally opted for a different storage method &
spent my $'s on the tools.

cheers
Bob

I just couldn't justify the cost so I settled on Craftsman.

Ive had a couple of Craftsman ratchets go bad and broke a couple of
screwdrivers that I was using for pry bars but that is about it. I did
break a couple of shovels in quick succession once. I took them back
to Sears, The lady who had been running the tool department took a
look at them and said the grain on the handles were running the wrong
way. Checked the rest of the shovels and said they were all bad. She
then pulled them all off the shelf and gave me a fiberglass handled
shovel, no extra charge. I wish I could say the same about their power
tools.

Jimmie