Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Nate Nagel wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more.
Not being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are
plastic, living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or
need for a roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than
any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap
I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can
buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's
tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are
still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it
instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.

nate

I did 30+ years as a line mechanic on craftsman tools. They are fine.
I broke very few. I used snapon tools for the specialty tools, and had
snap on boxes. Craftsman did not and does not make a box that will hold
up to everyday 30 year use.