Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:02 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-me(g)rer, around
1985. I don't know if craft(s)man was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craft(s)man from the 60's.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a
hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted
practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the
manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.

Joe

I agree with doug, hell i can put down 40 ft lbs with a 3/8 ratchet and
one hand. i've used craftsman chrome 6pt sockets exclusively , and have
never owned a set of impact sockets except for my reversible lug nut
socket. And they've all been on the 3/8 drive and 1/2" drive impacts
from time to time.