Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to paint window scrren

A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic sheeting.
Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off, exposing the
underlying screen grid. I would like to paint about 30 square feet of the
screened area with an opaque paint to match the house trim, as i have seen
done to similar screen rooms in the neighborhood. But none of my
neighbors know how the paint job was done on their homes. I would expect
to sand lightly to remove flaking plastic. What should I use for paint
and how do I apply it to both the intact plastic areas and the porous grid
areas where the plastic has flaked off?

Newt
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 11:10*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

(enewton) wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic sheeting.
*Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off, exposing the
underlying screen grid. *I would like to paint about 30 square feet of the
screened area with an opaque paint to match the house trim, as i have seen
done to similar screen rooms in the neighborhood. *But none of my
neighbors know how the paint job was done on their homes. I would expect
to sand lightly to remove flaking plastic. *What should I use for paint
and how do I apply it to both the intact plastic areas and the porous grid
areas where the plastic has flaked off?

Newt
-------------------------------------

The first thing you should do, is send an email to the SUCK-O company
telling them to stop spamming ahr. Then you should google "usenet" and
try to figure out where the **** you are and what the **** you're doing.

Is this a forwarded post, is it a real question?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 10:47*am,
(enewton) wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic sheeting..
*Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off, exposing the
underlying screen grid. *I would like to paint about 30 square feet of the
screened area with an opaque paint to match the house trim, as i have seen
done to similar screen rooms in the neighborhood. *But none of my
neighbors know how the paint job was done on their homes. I would expect
to sand lightly to remove flaking plastic. *What should I use for paint
and how do I apply it to both the intact plastic areas and the porous grid
areas where the plastic has flaked off?

Newt
-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I dont know about cleaning, but spray the sceen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic
sheeting. Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off,
exposing the underlying screen grid. I would like to paint about 30
square feet of the screened area with an opaque paint to match the
house trim, as i have seen done to similar screen rooms in the
neighborhood. But none of my neighbors know how the paint job was
done on their homes. I would expect to sand lightly to remove flaking
plastic. What should I use for paint and how do I apply it to both
the intact plastic areas and the porous grid areas where the plastic
has flaked off?

Use some sort of vile chemical to dissolve the plastic. Then spray with your
favorite paint.

In the era before aluminum screen mesh and convenient spray cans, screens
were painted (and the steel wire HAD to be painted) with a brush! (This was
even before rollers.) Sometimes the voids filled with paint so you had to go
back over the screen with a toothpick to open them up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370702-.htm
:
Look, this is the first time I have used this website. It wasn't very
user friendly coming in, and this doesn't help. If you have something
substantial to say, say it.
Newt
-------------------------------------
ransley wrote:

On Apr 30, 11:10=A0am, Smitty Two
wrote:
In article ,

(enewton) wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic
"screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar
plastic sheeti=

ng.
=A0Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off,
exposing the
underlying screen grid. =A0I would like to paint about 30
square feet o=

f the
screened area with an opaque paint to match the house trim,
as i have s=

een
done to similar screen rooms in the neighborhood. =A0But none
of my
neighbors know how the paint job was done on their homes. I
would expec=

to sand lightly to remove flaking plastic. =A0What should I
use for pai=

nt
and how do I apply it to both the intact plastic areas and
the porous g=

rid
areas where the plastic has flaked off?

Newt
-------------------------------------

The first thing you should do, is send an email to the SUCK-O
company
telling them to stop spamming ahr. Then you should google
"usenet" and
try to figure out where the **** you are and what the **** you're
doing.

Is this a forwarded post, is it a real question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370709-.htm
:
I hadn't thought of that and I just checked. It turns out the underlying
screen is metal - aluminum I suppose - and is in good shape. It's
apparently just the plastic coating that has been sun damaged. I am not
opposed to replacing if I must, but even then would prefer to install a
solid-color panels, which would require more re-engineering than I want to
do.
Newt
-------------------------------------
wrote:

On 30 Apr 2009 15:47:20 GMT,
(enewton) wrote:

[...]

You aren't going to like this answer but your screen is shot and needs
to be replaced. The sun has destroyed it. I bet you can poke your
finger right through it

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370714-.htm
:
Thanks, HeyBub

It turns out the underlying screen is steel or aluminum, as you suggest.
What I am trying to achieve is a solid coating of paint over the screen,
sealing all the mesh. So it seems like I would use a fairly thick paint
spread thin on both the inside and outside, and probably a second coat to
cover and produce a smooth finished surface. I know that my neighbor's
window down the street has this exact effect, but have no idea what paint
or technique was used. If I screw it up, all the screening will need to
come out, which, of course, may be the end result anyway.

Newt
-------------------------------------
HeyBub wrote:

enewton wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"enewton" wrote in message

It turns out the underlying screen is steel or aluminum, as you suggest.
What I am trying to achieve is a solid coating of paint over the screen,
sealing all the mesh. So it seems like I would use a fairly thick paint
spread thin on both the inside and outside, and probably a second coat to
cover and produce a smooth finished surface. I know that my neighbor's
window down the street has this exact effect, but have no idea what paint
or technique was used. If I screw it up, all the screening will need to
come out, which, of course, may be the end result anyway.

Reasons are not yet clear why
1. it seems you did not ask at a window/screen store;
2. it seems you did not ask your neighbor.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton wrote:
If I screw it up, all the screening will need to
come out, which, of course, may be the end result anyway.

It's not clear to me whether these are separate screens with an
aluminum frame and a rubber spline holding the screening material in
the frame, OR, a wooden frame with screen stapled down and wood trim
covering the edges.

In either case, I think I would re-screen it. Go to the home store and
buy a roll of screening material in the proper width - you can get
metal screen, or fiberglass in various sun-blocking densities.

For the aluminum frame/spline type, just pull out the spline, throw
away the old screen, stretch the new screen, and reinsert the spline.
You can reuse the spline unless it's really deteriorated.

Wooden frame, remove the trim, pull the staples holding the screen,
staple in new screen, replace trim. Easy-peasy.

I replace the screen in my patio slider about every 2 years, due to
pets, kids, etc.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370747-.htm
:
1. The generally knowledgeable hardware store owner I spoke to never
heard of putting a solid coating over mesh screens. Same with paint
store. Asking at HD or Lowes seemed like a waste of time.

2. The neighbor inherited the screens already coated and in good
condition. Prior owner said he had had them painted but did not say with
what or what technique.

Thanks for the input, nevertheless. I suppose I can just buy a quart of
exterior latex semi-gloss and go at it. Worst case is I'll have to rip
out and replace the screens with something else, but that will still leave
the color issue. I don't want clear/translucent plastic; i want solid
color, solid-looking panel. It doesn't look like there is any substantial
knowledge base out there on this subject.
Newt
-------------------------------------
Don Phillipson wrote:

"enewton"

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 1:20*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
enewton wrote:
[...]

In the past I would spray paint screens then before the paint dried
hit them with compressed air to clear holes that were filled with
paint.

JImmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton wrote:
enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370747-.htm

1. The generally knowledgeable hardware store owner I spoke to never
heard of putting a solid coating over mesh screens. Same with paint
store. Asking at HD or Lowes seemed like a waste of time.

2. The neighbor inherited the screens already coated and in good
condition. Prior owner said he had had them painted but did not say
with what or what technique.

Thanks for the input, nevertheless. I suppose I can just buy a quart
of exterior latex semi-gloss and go at it. Worst case is I'll have
to rip out and replace the screens with something else, but that will
still leave the color issue. I don't want clear/translucent plastic;
i want solid color, solid-looking panel. It doesn't look like there
is any substantial knowledge base out there on this subject.

A can of latex ain't gonna work. I doubt you can put it on the screen
without turning the screen into a colored sheet. With the mesh density on
today's screens, surface tension alone will cause the paint to jump to the
next wire! The minimum thickness of the applied paint is probably greater
than the distance to the next warp or woof!

(I exaggerate, but probably not by much.)

Get a can (probably several) of spray paint and stand way away from the
target.

Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370912-.htm
:
Jerry, Jimmie & Others

Thanks for the suggestions, but it is clear that I have not communicated
very well, and I apologize. The "screens" I am working with are designed
to have a thin plastic coating or membrane that seals the screen against
the elements. They are, in effect, solid transparent sheets of plastic
with a metal mesh "skeleton." I do not want to change that character
except to renew the waterproof membrane where it has flaked off and make
the screens opaque; I want the result to be a flat, solid panel, with no
holes. I could rip out all the existing screen and install thin solid
sheets of aluminum or other solid paneling and paint that, but I don't
want to do all the fussy detail carpentry that would be involved. (There
are 6 irregularly shaped panels.) A neighbor's similar panels were
successfully painted without removing the coated screening, which (along
with the splines) is in good shape. All I want is a paint that will cover
the areas where the plastic membrane is intact (about 90 percent) and plug
the holes on the other 10 percent where the plastic has flaked off, so the
result is not a screen at all, but a solid membrane the same color as the
house trim. I suspect that latex paint will be viscous enough to bridge
all the holes, although it is going to ooze (I can only reach one side at
a time.) One thin coat to form the new membrane and one finish coat for a
smooth texture (I hope). Thanks to all who responded.
Newt
-------------------------------------
JIMMIE wrote:

On Apr 30, 1:20=A0pm, "HeyBub"
wrote:
enewton wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic
"screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar
plastic
sheeting. Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking
off,
exposing the underlying screen grid. =A0I would like to paint
about 30
square feet of the screened area with an opaque paint to
match the
house trim, as i have seen done to similar screen rooms in
the
neighborhood. =A0But none of my neighbors know how the paint
job was
done on their homes. I would expect to sand lightly to remove
flaking
plastic. =A0What should I use for paint and how do I apply it
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

enewton wrote:
[...]

Aircraft dope is what you are looking for, like they used to paint
fabric-covered airplanes with. Not a clue where a civilian would buy it,
other than the tiny bottles model airplane guys use. Probably chock full
of VOCs and all sorts of stuff that the gummint doesn't want us to play
with any more. I suspect the stuff they sell to paint plastic car
bumpers with may be worth a try- it is designed to bond to plastic and
stay flexible.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
enewton wrote:
[...]

probably not, that is just catalyzed enamel like you'd use for the rest
of the car, but with a flex additive. Waaaaay too thin to bridge gaps
(designed to be sprayed,) and not cheap either. Regular house paint
probably has a better chance of working.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel