Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to paint window scrren

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 30, 1:20 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
enewton wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic
sheeting. Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off,
exposing the underlying screen grid. I would like to paint about 30
square feet of the screened area with an opaque paint to match the
house trim, as i have seen done to similar screen rooms in the
neighborhood. But none of my neighbors know how the paint job was
done on their homes. I would expect to sand lightly to remove
flaking plastic. What should I use for paint and how do I apply it
to both the intact plastic areas and the porous grid areas where
the plastic has flaked off?

Use some sort of vile chemical to dissolve the plastic. Then spray
with your favorite paint.

In the era before aluminum screen mesh and convenient spray cans,
screens were painted (and the steel wire HAD to be painted) with a
brush! (This was even before rollers.) Sometimes the voids filled
with paint so you had to go back over the screen with a toothpick to
open them up.

In the past I would spray paint screens then before the paint dried
hit them with compressed air to clear holes that were filled with
paint.

Oooh! Swell idea!