Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to paint window scrren

enewton wrote:
enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370912-.htm
:
Jerry, Jimmie & Others

Thanks for the suggestions, but it is clear that I have not communicated
very well, and I apologize. The "screens" I am working with are designed
to have a thin plastic coating or membrane that seals the screen against
the elements. They are, in effect, solid transparent sheets of plastic
with a metal mesh "skeleton." I do not want to change that character
except to renew the waterproof membrane where it has flaked off and make
the screens opaque; I want the result to be a flat, solid panel, with no
holes. I could rip out all the existing screen and install thin solid
sheets of aluminum or other solid paneling and paint that, but I don't
want to do all the fussy detail carpentry that would be involved. (There
are 6 irregularly shaped panels.) A neighbor's similar panels were
successfully painted without removing the coated screening, which (along
with the splines) is in good shape. All I want is a paint that will cover
the areas where the plastic membrane is intact (about 90 percent) and plug
the holes on the other 10 percent where the plastic has flaked off, so the
result is not a screen at all, but a solid membrane the same color as the
house trim. I suspect that latex paint will be viscous enough to bridge
all the holes, although it is going to ooze (I can only reach one side at
a time.) One thin coat to form the new membrane and one finish coat for a
smooth texture (I hope). Thanks to all who responded.
Newt

Aircraft dope is what you are looking for, like they used to paint
fabric-covered airplanes with. Not a clue where a civilian would buy it,
other than the tiny bottles model airplane guys use. Probably chock full
of VOCs and all sorts of stuff that the gummint doesn't want us to play
with any more. I suspect the stuff they sell to paint plastic car
bumpers with may be worth a try- it is designed to bond to plastic and
stay flexible.

--
aem sends...