Posted to alt.home.repair
enewton enewton is offline

Default How to paint window scrren

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370747-.htm
:
1. The generally knowledgeable hardware store owner I spoke to never
heard of putting a solid coating over mesh screens. Same with paint
store. Asking at HD or Lowes seemed like a waste of time.

2. The neighbor inherited the screens already coated and in good
condition. Prior owner said he had had them painted but did not say with
what or what technique.

Thanks for the input, nevertheless. I suppose I can just buy a quart of
exterior latex semi-gloss and go at it. Worst case is I'll have to rip
out and replace the screens with something else, but that will still leave
the color issue. I don't want clear/translucent plastic; i want solid
color, solid-looking panel. It doesn't look like there is any substantial
knowledge base out there on this subject.
Newt
-------------------------------------
Don Phillipson wrote:

"enewton"
wrote in message

It turns out the underlying screen is steel or aluminum, as you
suggest.
What I am trying to achieve is a solid coating of paint over the
screen,
sealing all the mesh. So it seems like I would use a fairly thick
paint
spread thin on both the inside and outside, and probably a second
coat to
cover and produce a smooth finished surface. I know that my
neighbor's
window down the street has this exact effect, but have no idea
what paint
or technique was used. If I screw it up, all the screening will
need to
come out, which, of course, may be the end result anyway.

Reasons are not yet clear why
1. it seems you did not ask at a window/screen store;
2. it seems you did not ask your neighbor.