Posted to alt.home.repair
enewton enewton is offline

Default How to paint window scrren

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370709-.htm
:
I hadn't thought of that and I just checked. It turns out the underlying
screen is metal - aluminum I suppose - and is in good shape. It's
apparently just the plastic coating that has been sun damaged. I am not
opposed to replacing if I must, but even then would prefer to install a
solid-color panels, which would require more re-engineering than I want to
do.
Newt
-------------------------------------
wrote:

On 30 Apr 2009 15:47:20 GMT,
(enewton) wrote:

A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens"
that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic
sheeting.
Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off, exposing the
underlying screen grid. I would like to paint about 30 square feet
of the
screened area with an opaque paint to match the house trim, as i
have seen
done to similar screen rooms in the neighborhood. But none of my
neighbors know how the paint job was done on their homes. I would
expect
to sand lightly to remove flaking plastic. What should I use for
paint
and how do I apply it to both the intact plastic areas and the
porous grid
areas where the plastic has flaked off?

Newt

You aren't going to like this answer but your screen is shot and needs
to be replaced. The sun has destroyed it. I bet you can poke your
finger right through it

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/