Posted to alt.home.repair
enewton enewton is offline

Default How to paint window scrren

enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370912-.htm
:
Jerry, Jimmie & Others

Thanks for the suggestions, but it is clear that I have not communicated
very well, and I apologize. The "screens" I am working with are designed
to have a thin plastic coating or membrane that seals the screen against
the elements. They are, in effect, solid transparent sheets of plastic
with a metal mesh "skeleton." I do not want to change that character
except to renew the waterproof membrane where it has flaked off and make
the screens opaque; I want the result to be a flat, solid panel, with no
holes. I could rip out all the existing screen and install thin solid
sheets of aluminum or other solid paneling and paint that, but I don't
want to do all the fussy detail carpentry that would be involved. (There
are 6 irregularly shaped panels.) A neighbor's similar panels were
successfully painted without removing the coated screening, which (along
with the splines) is in good shape. All I want is a paint that will cover
the areas where the plastic membrane is intact (about 90 percent) and plug
the holes on the other 10 percent where the plastic has flaked off, so the
result is not a screen at all, but a solid membrane the same color as the
house trim. I suspect that latex paint will be viscous enough to bridge
all the holes, although it is going to ooze (I can only reach one side at
a time.) One thin coat to form the new membrane and one finish coat for a
smooth texture (I hope). Thanks to all who responded.
Newt
-------------------------------------
JIMMIE wrote:

On Apr 30, 1:20=A0pm, "HeyBub"
wrote:
enewton wrote:
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic
"screens" that are
waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar
plastic
sheeting. Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking
off,
exposing the underlying screen grid. =A0I would like to paint
about 30
square feet of the screened area with an opaque paint to
match the
house trim, as i have seen done to similar screen rooms in
the
neighborhood. =A0But none of my neighbors know how the paint
job was
done on their homes. I would expect to sand lightly to remove
flaking
plastic. =A0What should I use for paint and how do I apply it
to both
the intact plastic areas and the porous grid areas where the
plastic
has flaked off?

Use some sort of vile chemical to dissolve the plastic. Then spray
with y=

our
favorite paint.

In the era before aluminum screen mesh and convenient spray cans,
screens
were painted (and the steel wire HAD to be painted) with a brush!
(This w=

as
even before rollers.) Sometimes the voids filled with paint so you
had to=

go
back over the screen with a toothpick to open them up.

In the past I would spray paint screens then before the paint dried
hit them with compressed air to clear holes that were filled with
paint.

JImmie