Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to paint window scrren

enewton wrote:
enewton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...en-370747-.htm

1. The generally knowledgeable hardware store owner I spoke to never
heard of putting a solid coating over mesh screens. Same with paint
store. Asking at HD or Lowes seemed like a waste of time.

2. The neighbor inherited the screens already coated and in good
condition. Prior owner said he had had them painted but did not say
with what or what technique.

Thanks for the input, nevertheless. I suppose I can just buy a quart
of exterior latex semi-gloss and go at it. Worst case is I'll have
to rip out and replace the screens with something else, but that will
still leave the color issue. I don't want clear/translucent plastic;
i want solid color, solid-looking panel. It doesn't look like there
is any substantial knowledge base out there on this subject.

A can of latex ain't gonna work. I doubt you can put it on the screen
without turning the screen into a colored sheet. With the mesh density on
today's screens, surface tension alone will cause the paint to jump to the
next wire! The minimum thickness of the applied paint is probably greater
than the distance to the next warp or woof!

(I exaggerate, but probably not by much.)

Get a can (probably several) of spray paint and stand way away from the
target.