Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

Don't know the answer to your question, but if you are planning on doing
any automotive maintenance in the driveway, concrete is really the only
choice. Sure, you *can* work on blacktop... but then you have to carry
around plywood, steel plates, etc. to keep your jack/stands/etc from
digging in.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

Can't tell you, but be sure to compare life cycle cost, not just up
front cost. I expect concrete will be more upfront, with much longer
life and lower maintenance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none
existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between
the two materials?

TIA

Don't know the answer to your question, but if you are planning on doing
any automotive maintenance in the driveway, concrete is really the only
choice. Sure, you *can* work on blacktop... but then you have to carry
around plywood, steel plates, etc. to keep your jack/stands/etc from
digging in.

Add to that the possible effects of gas and oil damage to asphalt. They may
stain concrete, but not soften it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

Around here (SW MI), asphalt runs 50-60 % of concrete. Aside from cost,
many people prefer it because snow and ice melts a lot faster on black
asphalt than on light gray concrete. If you can scrape even small strips
down to pavement, even an hour or two of sunshine can work wonders.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Think long term. You will have more long term costs for asphalt, and the
lifespan is shorter.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:35:29 -0700, "Pittman Pirate"
wrote:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
85.250...
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Think long term. You will have more long term costs for asphalt, and the
lifespan is shorter.

Wait a second. If the lifespan is shorter, the long term will also be
shorter and so will the long term costs. So you have more shorter
long term costs.

I'm confused.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Think long term. You will have more long term costs for asphalt, and the
lifespan is shorter.

Wait a second. If the lifespan is shorter, the long term will also be
shorter and so will the long term costs. So you have more shorter
long term costs.

I'm confused.

you still have to seal asphalt periodically (theoretically. I've never
sealed my driveway; in fact I doubt it's been sealed in 20 years. Been
meaning to do that but I haven't broached the subject with the neighbors
yet, and there's still some weirdness that needs to be patched.)
Concrete maintenance pretty much consists of going over it every couple
years with some crack filler for the expansion joints, and maybe
pressure washing it occasionally if it starts looking really grungy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh, I quite agree- if you are in your 'forever' house and hopefully in a
low-snow climate, concrete is the way to go. But I am planning to sell
this place in 3-4 years (assuming the economy comes back at all), and
for a sloping driveway in snow country, asphalt is a big advantage. For
1/3 to 1/2 less up-front cost, the choice is a no-brainer.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

It depends on the price of oil, cement, and local labor, right? Last time I
looked (before the most recent spike/fall in oil prices), asphalt drives were
being installed for about $2/sq ft, and concrete ones were easily double that.
That was with minimal prep and no additional material.

I don't think that's going to mean a whole lot for you and your area. Best to
call around and get some local estimates. Keep in mind that contractors can play
games with the PSI of the cement and the depth of the asphalt, so make sure you
are comparing apples to apples. Permit/inspection fees may apply if you are
tying into a public road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Wait a second. If the lifespan is shorter, the long term will also be
shorter and so will the long term costs. So you have more shorter
long term costs.

I'm confused.

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

I had 220 tons of road base put on mine. Still need a couple of 17 yard
dumps to trim it up. I love mine.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

Andy writes:
I don't know about asphalt, but 70 miles south of Dallas, Texas, a
concrete driveway that is 4" thick with rebar on 1 foot centers is
around $3.50 per square foot.

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where
none existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost
between the two materials?

TIA

If your contractor is used to doing public roads you won't be able to afford
either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 8:32*pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. *I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. *Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
* * * * * * *- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Where I am in the midwest they use a new " less toxic" asphalt, it
doesnt smell like the old stuff either. I wonder if it also means less
life. Concrete can be ordered the way you want it and you can check a
mix for certain properties. Calcium chloride eats concrete, I dont
know about asphalt. Asphalt is black so who cares if it stains and
snow melts faster on it. Its like your major roads, Concrete folks
have arguments for concrete, and asphalt has its advantages. Its an
ongoing debate, some road redos here are asphalt, some concrete, or
maybe its who paid off Rod-Robber-Blagojevich the most for my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/7/2009 9:32 PM (ET) Wayne Boatwright wrote the following:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

In retrospect, I would go for the concrete. My asphalt driveway is
floating over a shallow aquifer running underneath. The driveway has
been repaved including removing the existing asphalt and repaving with
new gravel and asphalt. In the winter, the asphalt heaves as much as 3"
above the edge of the concrete garage apron. My driveway has
indentations where the car wheels sit, and there are many cracks and
checkering all over the driveway. Next time, I will have multiple
drainage pipes installed underneath and a thick slab of concrete installed.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.185.250...
[...]

Sure, your reasoning makes sense. I'm just saying what I would
prefer; you're free to make your own choice of course.

I'm curious; would a dark-tinted concrete - or even concrete gone over
with asphalt sealer - offer the same snow clearing advantages as
asphalt?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

Gravel grows weeds, needs regarding due to shifting from traffic and you
can't drive a regular (not all terrain) forklift on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 4/7/2009 9:32 PM (ET) Wayne Boatwright wrote the following:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none
existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between
the two materials?

TIA

In retrospect, not having a clue of where you are, what the weather
conditions are, what vehicles are going to be driving on it, and how long
you intend to keep your house, I change my answer to yes, buy an asphalt,
gravel, concrete driveway, or just leave it the way it is..

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/7/2009 11:49 PM (ET) John Gilmer wrote the following:
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

....and sinking the gravel into the mud. I had a shale driveway before I
had enough money to pave it. After a while, I had 2x12s laid down to get
to the car doors.when the ground was wet.
Gravel has to be added to regularly. It is also more difficult to remove
snow from it. Can't use a plow nor snowblower.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 7, 11:49*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway..

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

Ever mow the grass in the spring after having shoveled snow off a
gravel drive all winter?

As for the runoff, there apparently is "pervious concrete" available
which allows rainwater to enter the ground *through* the concrete; I
find that intriguing but have yet to actually see any IRL or speak
with anyone who has such a driveway installed, so I can't say whether
that has any disadvantages relative to regular concrete or not.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 9:17*am, willshak wrote:
[...]

What makes you think your problems have much to do with asphalt vs
concrete? With concrete and water/heaving, you'd have busted up
concrete.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

on 4/7/2009 11:49 PM (ET) John Gilmer wrote the following:
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

...and sinking the gravel into the mud. I had a shale driveway before I
had enough money to pave it. After a while, I had 2x12s laid down to get
to the car doors.when the ground was wet.
Gravel has to be added to regularly. It is also more difficult to remove
snow from it. Can't use a plow nor snowblower.

Actually, you can use a snowblower on a gravel driveway. You have to
drive over the first few inches of snow to get an even base pack, set
the skids on the snowblower to keep it up a couple inches and then only
clear down to the base pack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 7:47*am, N8N wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:49*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:

I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

Ever mow the grass in the spring after having shoveled snow off a
gravel drive all winter?

As for the runoff, there apparently is "pervious concrete" available
which allows rainwater to enter the ground *through* the concrete; I
find that intriguing but have yet to actually see any IRL or speak
with anyone who has such a driveway installed, so I can't say whether
that has any disadvantages relative to regular concrete or not.

nate

http://www.concretethinker.com/Papers.aspx?DocId=10

an interesting concept.......like a concrete sponge, not a 100%
dense.

I assume it must have to be installed thicker than 100% dense concrete
to have the same strength.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

* I don't know about asphalt, but 70 miles south of Dallas, Texas, a
concrete driveway that is 4" thick with rebar on 1 foot centers is
around $3.50 per square foot.

* * * * * * * * *Andy in Eureka, Texas

Thats about what a properly done driveway cost here in NC too. A lot
of homes were buit with about a 2 inch slab, no reinforcing material
at all. You can get these for about $2.00 a square foot. They are
guaranteed to start falling apart in about 4 years.My electric and
water service cross beneath my drivway so when I rebuilt it I
Installed a couple of PVC pipes beneath the driveway just in case they
ever need maintenance.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 1:38�pm, "Pete C." wrote:
willshak wrote:

on 4/7/2009 11:49 PM (ET) John Gilmer wrote the following:
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

...and sinking the gravel into the mud. I had a shale driveway before I
had enough money to pave it. After a while, I had 2x12s laid down to get
to the car doors.when the ground was wet.
Gravel has to be added to regularly. It is also more difficult to remove
snow from it. Can't use a plow nor snowblower.

Actually, you can use a snowblower on a gravel driveway. You have to
drive over the first few inches of snow to get an even base pack, set
the skids on the snowblower to keep it up a couple inches and then only
clear down to the base pack.

BAD IDEA! All it takes is one piece of gravel to get mixed with snow
say by a tire spinning, and it will get tossed a long way.

snow blower will toss snow 5 or 6 feet, a piece of gravel 20 thru
whatever is around..... like a window
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 4:13�pm, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:38 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

willshak wrote:

[...]

whatever is around..... like a window- Hide quoted text -

a old neighbor liked gravel driveways, but tired of mud and needing
more gravel.

he had his dug out deep, 2 inches of low grade asphalt applied on a
thin base, and covered it with a foot of gravel.

must of been 20 plus years ago still looks great today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Price also depends on the size of the job. Small slabs can attract a lot of
concrete contractors, whereas contractors with asphalt equipment are more
rare. A big job (let's say 200 feet of driveway) is big enough to interest
an asphalt paving contractor. As mentioned in other posts, car maintenance
is easier on concrete. However, only the last 20 to 30 feet of the driveway
needs to be concrete.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Tue 07 Apr 2009 06:32:03p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Following up to my own post, I'd like to thank all of you who responded
for
your insight and information. It has been informative and helpful.

I should also probably have given more background. I live in Mesa, AZ, so
there are no issues with wide variances in seasons. Our entire lot is
covered in several inches of compacted decomposed granite, so is quite
firm. Both back and front yards are desert landscaped, with certain
plants
receiving localized drip irrigation. We don't have frequent rain, and our
total rainfall is sparse.

We don't work on our own cars or other equipment that would be on the
driveway, so that would be a non issue. We have two Ford Focus models,
nothing particularly heavy.

We've lived here for two years and during that time have parked on the
granite. The only real physical inconvenience is that some granite is
tracked into the cars and some makes its way into our shoes.

From a strictly visual point of view, there is no defined parking area.
This probably shouldn't bother me, but every other home I've owned had a
driveway and a walkway to the front door.

The approximate size of this driveway would be 22' wide by 38' long.

Last of all, but still important, is that we're on a somewhat limited
budget, and would like to keep our costs to a minimum.

Thanks again to all...

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

the gravel is a LOT cooler in the summer than any other choice besides dirt.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 08 Apr 2009 11:13:05p, Smitty Two told us...

In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

From a strictly visual point of view, there is no defined parking area.
This probably shouldn't bother me, but every other home I've owned had a
driveway and a walkway to the front door.

You mentioned some native landscaping. That could easily be adapted to
define the driveway, and path.

That's certainly a possibility. I had also considered bordering the parking
area with bricks embedded flush with the ground. It would at least define
some sort of "driveway". Maybe both would be good.

That still doesn't solve my dilemma with the messiness of getting granite in
the car and in shoes as we walk. Even though it's compacted, it still gets
kicked up a bit.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"Recipe: A series of step-by-step instructions for preparing ingredients you
forgot to buy, in utensils you don't own, to make a dish the dog wouldn't
eat." ~Author Unknown
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 09 Apr 2009 07:09:33a, charlie told us...

[...]

From a strictly visual point of view, there is no defined parking area.
This probably shouldn't bother me, but every other home I've owned had
a driveway and a walkway to the front door.

The approximate size of this driveway would be 22' wide by 38' long.

Last of all, but still important, is that we're on a somewhat limited
budget, and would like to keep our costs to a minimum.

Thanks again to all...

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison" - Oswald Dykes, English
writer, 1709.

the gravel is a LOT cooler in the summer than any other choice besides
dirt.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

I'm sure you're right about that, Charlie, but it still doesn't solve what
I perceive as problems with the granite. I would imagine that blacktop
might be hotter than concrete also.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"Recipe: A series of step-by-step instructions for preparing ingredients
you forgot to buy, in utensils you don't own, to make a dish the dog
wouldn't eat." ~Author Unknown
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:55:58 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

Can't tell you, but be sure to compare life cycle cost, not just up
front cost. I expect concrete will be more upfront, with much longer
life and lower maintenance.

Last time I checked up here in Ontario a cheap concrete driveway was
twice the price of a good asphalt driveway - and even a cheap concrete
will outlast a good asphalt.

Use air entrained high strength concrete with re-bar and expansion
joints ever 12 feet max in all directions.

If you can get "grout" for the top inch or more it will cost more, but
last virtually forever. The driveway my Dad had put in 30 years ago
still looks like new - salt, winters, and all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:32:42 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

Around here (SW MI), asphalt runs 50-60 % of concrete. Aside from cost,
many people prefer it because snow and ice melts a lot faster on black
asphalt than on light gray concrete. If you can scrape even small strips
down to pavement, even an hour or two of sunshine can work wonders.

You CAN have concrete coloured.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:45:19 -0700 (PDT), fftt
wrote:

On Apr 8, 7:47Â*am, N8N wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:49Â*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:

[...]

There are "driveway blocks" that are 8" thick "honeycombs" that you
can actually fill with topsoil and grow GRASS on. These drain very
well if filled with crushed limestone or sharp sand. Drain like
gravel, wear and clear like concrete. Weeds grow through like cheap
asphalt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:59:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

[...]

From a strictly visual point of view, there is no defined parking area.
This probably shouldn't bother me, but every other home I've owned had a
driveway and a walkway to the front door.

The approximate size of this driveway would be 22' wide by 38' long.

Last of all, but still important, is that we're on a somewhat limited
budget, and would like to keep our costs to a minimum.

Thanks again to all...

Under those conditions 2" (compacted) of fine asphalt would do the
job and be your cheapest alternative. 3 or 4 inches would be better,
but you don't have winter or vegetation issues, yout base is solid,
and your usage is light. If you plan on having heavy trucks on the
driveway in future, go thicker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:45:47 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.