Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

On Thu 09 Apr 2009 07:09:33a, charlie told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Tue 07 Apr 2009 06:32:03p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Following up to my own post, I'd like to thank all of you who responded
for your insight and information. It has been informative and helpful.

I should also probably have given more background. I live in Mesa, AZ,
so there are no issues with wide variances in seasons. Our entire lot
is covered in several inches of compacted decomposed granite, so is
quite firm. Both back and front yards are desert landscaped, with
certain plants receiving localized drip irrigation. We don't have
frequent rain, and our total rainfall is sparse.

We don't work on our own cars or other equipment that would be on the
driveway, so that would be a non issue. We have two Ford Focus models,
nothing particularly heavy.

We've lived here for two years and during that time have parked on the
granite. The only real physical inconvenience is that some granite is
tracked into the cars and some makes its way into our shoes.

From a strictly visual point of view, there is no defined parking area.
This probably shouldn't bother me, but every other home I've owned had
a driveway and a walkway to the front door.

The approximate size of this driveway would be 22' wide by 38' long.

Last of all, but still important, is that we're on a somewhat limited
budget, and would like to keep our costs to a minimum.

Thanks again to all...

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison" - Oswald Dykes, English
writer, 1709.

the gravel is a LOT cooler in the summer than any other choice besides
dirt.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

I'm sure you're right about that, Charlie, but it still doesn't solve what
I perceive as problems with the granite. I would imagine that blacktop
might be hotter than concrete also.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"Recipe: A series of step-by-step instructions for preparing ingredients
you forgot to buy, in utensils you don't own, to make a dish the dog
wouldn't eat." ~Author Unknown