Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:10:30p, told us...

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:55:58 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where
none existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost
between the two materials?

Can't tell you, but be sure to compare life cycle cost, not just up
front cost. I expect concrete will be more upfront, with much longer
life and lower maintenance.

Last time I checked up here in Ontario a cheap concrete driveway was
twice the price of a good asphalt driveway - and even a cheap concrete
will outlast a good asphalt.

Use air entrained high strength concrete with re-bar and expansion
joints ever 12 feet max in all directions.

If you can get "grout" for the top inch or more it will cost more, but
last virtually forever. The driveway my Dad had put in 30 years ago
still looks like new - salt, winters, and all.

Sounds like great construction, but probably overkill for where we live and
our intended use. We don't have winter temperatures, or show or ice.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:10:58p, told us...

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:32:42 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where
none existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost
between the two materials?

TIA

Around here (SW MI), asphalt runs 50-60 % of concrete. Aside from cost,
many people prefer it because snow and ice melts a lot faster on black
asphalt than on light gray concrete. If you can scrape even small strips
down to pavement, even an hour or two of sunshine can work wonders.

You CAN have concrete coloured.

Yes, many people here in the southwest have colored concrete for their
driveways, walks, and patios.

--
Wayne Boatwright
A bagel is a doughnut with the sin removed. ~George Rosenbaum

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:21:54p, told us...

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:59:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 07 Apr 2009 06:32:03p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Following up to my own post, I'd like to thank all of you who responded
for your insight and information. It has been informative and helpful.

I should also probably have given more background. I live in Mesa, AZ,
so there are no issues with wide variances in seasons. Our entire lot
is covered in several inches of compacted decomposed granite, so is
quite firm. Both back and front yards are desert landscaped, with
certain plants receiving localized drip irrigation. We don't have
frequent rain, and our total rainfall is sparse.

We don't work on our own cars or other equipment that would be on the
driveway, so that would be a non issue. We have two Ford Focus models,
nothing particularly heavy.

We've lived here for two years and during that time have parked on the
granite. The only real physical inconvenience is that some granite is
tracked into the cars and some makes its way into our shoes.

From a strictly visual point of view, there is no defined parking area.
This probably shouldn't bother me, but every other home I've owned had a
driveway and a walkway to the front door.

The approximate size of this driveway would be 22' wide by 38' long.

Last of all, but still important, is that we're on a somewhat limited
budget, and would like to keep our costs to a minimum.

Thanks again to all...

Under those conditions 2" (compacted) of fine asphalt would do the
job and be your cheapest alternative. 3 or 4 inches would be better,
but you don't have winter or vegetation issues, yout base is solid,
and your usage is light. If you plan on having heavy trucks on the
driveway in future, go thicker.

This sounds more like what I should do. Depending on costs, I might go
with a thicker asphalt for durability, even though I don't really expect to
have heavy vehicles on it.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where
none existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost
between the two materials?

TIA

Around here (SW MI), asphalt runs 50-60 % of concrete. Aside from cost,
many people prefer it because snow and ice melts a lot faster on black
asphalt than on light gray concrete. If you can scrape even small strips
down to pavement, even an hour or two of sunshine can work wonders.

You CAN have concrete coloured.

Yes, many people here in the southwest have colored concrete for their
driveways, walks, and patios.

Never seen black concrete, or any real dark shades in any color. It'd
have to be real dark to get any noticeable solar heating benefits. I
suppose you could paint concrete with the asphalt sealing goop, but it
probably wouldn't stick very well, and even on broom finish, it would
make it slick.

Don't get me wrong- if up-front cost is no object, well-laid concrete is
the clear winner. The snow-melt thing is just a side benefit that helps
people like me take solace in being lower on the food chain. But with my
sloped driveway (which are pretty common around here in spite of the
flat terrain), it is an advantage.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.

Who's on third?

No, Whos on first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:29:59 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.

Who's on third?

No, Whos on first.

I *don't* know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.

Who's on third?

No, Whos on first.

I *don't* know.

I keep telling you - he's on third.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:27:11 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.

Who's on third?

No, Whos on first.

I *don't* know.

I keep telling you - he's on third.

How is that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 12 Apr 2009 05:40:28p, mm told us...

wrote:

mm wrote:

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.

Who's on third?

No, Whos on first.

I *don't* know.

I keep telling you - he's on third.

How is that?

All I know is, somebody's way off baswe. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Older people shouldn`t eat health food, they need all the