Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:10:58p, told us...

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:32:42 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't
gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where
none existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost
between the two materials?

TIA

Around here (SW MI), asphalt runs 50-60 % of concrete. Aside from cost,
many people prefer it because snow and ice melts a lot faster on black
asphalt than on light gray concrete. If you can scrape even small strips
down to pavement, even an hour or two of sunshine can work wonders.

You CAN have concrete coloured.

Yes, many people here in the southwest have colored concrete for their
driveways, walks, and patios.

Never seen black concrete, or any real dark shades in any color. It'd
have to be real dark to get any noticeable solar heating benefits. I
suppose you could paint concrete with the asphalt sealing goop, but it
probably wouldn't stick very well, and even on broom finish, it would
make it slick.

Don't get me wrong- if up-front cost is no object, well-laid concrete is
the clear winner. The snow-melt thing is just a side benefit that helps
people like me take solace in being lower on the food chain. But with my
sloped driveway (which are pretty common around here in spite of the
flat terrain), it is an advantage.

--
aem sends...