Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blacktop/Concrete seam - How to seal or caulk?

I have a seam between a blacktop driveway and
a concrete wall where all of the caulking material
is coming loose.

The concrete/asphalt gap is like 1/2" and the seam
is 8 feet long. Behind the seam there is a fairly
large space in the dirt, consider a cylinder 3/4" in
diameter the length of the seam.

Any ideas what I should caulk or seal this gap with?

Thanks.

-P

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 2:13 pm, Vic Dura wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 11:41:58 -0700, wrote Re
Blacktop/Concrete seam - How to seal or caulk?:

I have a seam between a blacktop driveway and
a concrete wall where all of the caulking material
is coming loose.

The concrete/asphalt gap is like 1/2" and the seam
is 8 feet long. Behind the seam there is a fairly
large space in the dirt, consider a cylinder 3/4" in
diameter the length of the seam.

Any ideas what I should caulk or seal this gap with?

Fill the seam with pea gravel to about 1/4" from top. Then fill the
top 1/4" with asphalt sealer such as this
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue...

Pack the gravel down before covering with sealer.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Check latexite.com. They have a product that is like 3/8 or 1/2 rope
that goes in the gap. Then you heat it with a torch and it melts
forming a tough but flexible filler. If you don't use that, then I'd
fill it as suggested above, and then use the liquid crack filler
available at home centers. Probably should use two steps, filling it
part way, let it cure, then fill it the rest of the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 7:50 pm, wrote:
On Aug 4, 2:13 pm, Vic Dura wrote:
[...]

part way, let it cure, then fill it the rest of the way.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Several good ideas. I may use the latexite stuff
for some driveway cracks

Anyway, I have decided to go with the "pea gravel +
asphalt sealer" approach. That leaves me with one
question.

Should I use the stuff in caulking tubes labeled "DAP
Blacktop Asphalt VOC sealant" OR should I use the
more liquidy "Asphalt Crack Seal" in the quart sized
squeeze bottle?

-P