victor voul

Default looking for specialized caulk for wet area granite countertop seam

I have a granite countertop that constantly develops problems in the
seam behind the faucet where thebacksplash and counter are seamed.
Because it is virtually impossible to keep this area always dry, the
silicone clear caulk I use to maintain this seam always degrades in a
few months softens and peels off.
Is there a type of clear caulk that can hold up for this common
problem??
Thanks for your help!
Christian McArdle

Is there a type of clear caulk that can hold up for this common
problem??

Our granite fitter used a two part epoxy filler.

Christian.

nemofish

Having just had a granite worksurface fitted I asked about this and was
told that you need to use a 'low modula' silicone sealer. Sorry I don't
know exactly how this differs from normal silicone or where you can get it.

Christian McArdle

Having just had a granite worksurface fitted I asked about this and was
told that you need to use a 'low modula' silicone sealer. Sorry I don't
know exactly how this differs from normal silicone or where you can get

it.

It is normally called "frame sealant" instead of "multipurpose" or
"kitchen/bathroom", which are high modulus.

Christian.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:20:01 +0100, nemofish wrote:

Having just had a granite worksurface fitted I asked about this and was
told that you need to use a 'low modula' silicone sealer.

Low modulus - and that's the wrong term anyway. "Modulus" is about
the elasticity of it - a low modulus is less stiff and more wobbly.
There are some silicones around that are intended for prolonged wet
use, and these are the useful ones here. They're often a flexible low
mod silicone, so some careless chippies take to calling them by that
name. However there are plenty of waterproof high modulus "sanitary"
silicones (the replacements for Plumber's Mait) and there are low
modulus silicones that don't like water.

To be honest, I'm appalled at someone installing a granite worktop
(which I bet wasn't cheap) and then slapping some silicone down the
back. Cowboys !

--
Smert' spamionam