Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best adhesive/caulk to seal plastic join in spa?

Greetings all!

I have a spa which is surrounded by a concrete surround. Water was
seeping out from a seam in the concrete and, after some detective work,
it seems the culprit is a bad seam in the skimmer: The plastic skimmer
connects with a plastic riser at an angle, and the plastic-to-plastic
join must be poor, and when the water rises to a certain level, water
seeps into the concrete, and then is slowly released by the concrete.
Since we lowered the spa water below that join, the seeping has
stopped.

So my question is what product is best for sealing a plastic-to-plastic
join, which will usually be under water that is hot, and is
chlorinated? Do I want a flexible seal, or a non-flexible seal? There
is some product I saw at our pool supply store called "A+B Epoxy
Putty."

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/...d uctID=14054

I believe this product provides a non-flexible seal, so I wasn't sure
if this was ideal for my situation, or if something more "rubberized"
would be better.

Any advice at all on this matter is greatly appreciated!

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What kind of plastic? Is it white PVC, like the plumbing pipes?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of plastic? Is it white PVC, like the plumbing pipes?

Bob

Yes, I should have been more explicit. It is white, and it is
presumably PVC. It is the usual white plastic that pool and spa
skimmers are made of.

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...

What kind of plastic? Is it white PVC, like the plumbing pipes?

Bob

Yes, I should have been more explicit. It is white, and it is
presumably PVC. It is the usual white plastic that pool and spa
skimmers are made of.

If it is PVC, PVC cement could be a good bet, but you need
to get it into the crack to work well. The same would be true
for most adhesives. A urethane caulk would be a good bet
if you want something flexible.

Bob