Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Default Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

Hi,

I've done all my previous plumbing work in copper, and I'm perfectly happy
using end-feed, yorkshire and compression fittings.

But I'm a n00b with plastic pipe.
My basic understanding is this: It shoves as-is directly into push-fit
fittings, where an o-ring in the fitting provides the seal.
But you need an insert for use in compression fittings, to prevent the pipe
collapsing under the olive.
Is that basically correct?

I have some old recovered plastic pipe here, which I'd like to re-use.
It is marked "Hepworth BS7291/2 class S 15 x 2 mm H+C services and
Central Heating 12 bar/20c 7bar/82c" and has metal inserts on some of the
ends which went into copper compression fittings. These are plain inserts
with no o-rings or anything. The olives are still there, and I guess I can
probably cut the olives off and re-use the metal inserts.

Is all flexible plastic pipe basically the same, or are there different
'systems' which require matching fittings and inserts etc? Or is it just
the fittings which come in different 'systems', and each family of fittings
has it's matching inserts?

I'm a little confused about the different systems which I can find, for
example on Screwfix.
There's stuff called 'Pushfit', and 'Speedfit'. Presumably 'Speedfit' is a
brand name, and Pushfit' is just a generic term?

I see plastic pipe like this:
It looks a lot like what I have here.
It says to use speedfit inserts.
Presumably only for compression fittings? Or perhaps for all fittings? Or
just for speedfit fittings?

The inserts are he
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...26homeRef%3 D

But they have o-rings on them! What's that all about?
That suggests these inserts form a part of the sealing mechanism, and are
not just to prevent the pipe crushing in a compression fitting. So these
don't look like the right part to go into a compression fitting. I can't
imagine what they are for at all. Surely in a pushfit fitting, the o-ring
is part of the fitting, not part of the pipe insert? They don't look to be
strong enough to take the squeeze of a compression olive.

It seems to me I'd want plain metal inserts like I have to go into a
compression fitting. But I don't see those on the 'Push-fit fittings'
page at screwfix.

Looking at copper push-fit systems, I see the cuprofit ( presumably hep2o is
similar? ) require inserts in plastic pipe, even in a non-compression
fitting. These are marked 'only for use with cuprofit fittings', so I
guess they are also not the correct thing to use for a compression fitting?

So what's the compatability story here with plastic plumbing?
What inserts do you use with what pipe and what fittings?
Specifically, what inserts do I need for fitting this pipe into a
compression fitting?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Ron Lowe wrote:
Hi,

I've done all my previous plumbing work in copper, and I'm perfectly
happy using end-feed, yorkshire and compression fittings.

But I'm a n00b with plastic pipe.

Me too until recently, tried Speedfit on the reccommendation of my local
plumbing place and I'm very impressed. Probably takes a quarter of the time
to install - which is important to me.

My basic understanding is this: It shoves as-is directly into push-fit
fittings, where an o-ring in the fitting provides the seal.
But you need an insert for use in compression fittings, to prevent
the pipe collapsing under the olive.
Is that basically correct?

Not really. The stuff I used had inserts for use with the plastic pipe,
which was used in push fit and compression fittings. The fittings would
take copper pipe as well.

I have some old recovered plastic pipe here, which I'd like to re-use.
It is marked "Hepworth BS7291/2 class S 15 x 2 mm H+C services
and Central Heating 12 bar/20c 7bar/82c" and has metal inserts on
some of the ends which went into copper compression fittings. These
are plain inserts with no o-rings or anything. The olives are still
there, and I guess I can probably cut the olives off and re-use the
metal inserts.

Sounds like Hep 2 O. Have a look at thier web site for some good info.
Apparently Speedfit is compatable with Hep 2 O and this was the case on the
one join I had to do. The inserts I used were plastic.

Is all flexible plastic pipe basically the same, or are there
different 'systems' which require matching fittings and inserts etc? Or is
it just the fittings which come in different 'systems', and
each family of fittings has it's matching inserts?

Don't know, but Speedfit & Hep 2 O seem to be.

I'm a little confused about the different systems which I can find,
for example on Screwfix.
There's stuff called 'Pushfit', and 'Speedfit'. Presumably
'Speedfit' is a brand name, and Pushfit' is just a generic term?

I guess so. Thats how it seems to me anyway.

It says to use speedfit inserts.

Presumably only for compression fittings? Or perhaps for all
fittings? Or just for speedfit fittings?

I was told for all fittings and I didn't have any trouble.

But they have o-rings on them! What's that all about?
That suggests these inserts form a part of the sealing mechanism, and
are not just to prevent the pipe crushing in a compression fitting. So
these don't look like the right part to go into a compression
fitting. I can't imagine what they are for at all. Surely in a
pushfit fitting, the o-ring is part of the fitting, not part of the
pipe insert? They don't look to be strong enough to take the squeeze
of a compression olive.

The first lot of inserts I had were plain black. I had to go back for some
more fittings and they gave me white ones with o rings like your picture..
Apparently its an upgrade to give a better seal?

It seems to me I'd want plain metal inserts like I have to go into a
compression fitting. But I don't see those on the 'Push-fit
fittings' page at screwfix.

I was dubious about plastic to copper compression but it worked fine with
the plastic insert.

I only had one leak on a fairy large job and that was a fitting dripping. I
removed the pipe and the end had been adraded & scratched. I cut the pipe
back 2" and reused the insert and it was fine. I did use the proper cutting
tool though, I believe thats vital.

Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
Hi,

I've done all my previous plumbing work in copper, and I'm perfectly happy
using end-feed, yorkshire and compression fittings.

Plastic pipe is fine. Use barrier pipe. It is the pushfit fittings that is
the problem. They give more problems than any other type of fitting by a
country mile. You can use good quality brass compression joints with plastic
pipe using the pipe inserts. They no more, if cheaper, than pushfit. Go
this way. Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

Until the ceiling comes down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:13:14 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

Until the ceiling comes down.

That only happens when you use a hacksaw to cut the pipe though.

Now who did that? Hmm..... let me see now....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Ron
I have done a barn conversion all with plastic Hep20 barrier pipe. I
have had no problems what so ever. In fact you can even use push fit
between copper and plastic... but not chrome plated to plastic since
the chrome is a harder metal that copper, so the teeth on the push fit
dont bite.

I have a friend who used the double o ring type of fitting and had 2
leaks on a single bathroom job. I told him about Hep20 and he has had
no problems... it may have been that he was using it wrongly, but I
doubt it as he is very meticulous, but I cant be certain.

Using the correct cutting tool is vital as are inserts within every
fitting whether push or compression.

On the note about using plastic pipe but not push fittings I would say
the opposite. After all, the braking system on many lorries is push fit
and they opperate at much higher pressures than domestic water systems.
The only two downsides that I can see to plastic pipes are the
potential damage by hungry mice and the lasck of aesthetics present
with copper... but then again most plumbing is contained under floors
or within cupboards... so go for the Hep2O barrier (or another of your
choice) and enjoy the speed at which you can plumb your house.

Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:11:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Plastic pipe is fine. Use barrier pipe. It is the pushfit fittings that is
the problem. They give more problems than any other type of fitting by a
country mile. You can use good quality brass compression joints with plastic
pipe using the pipe inserts. They no more, if cheaper, than pushfit. Go
this way. Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Ignore Drivel, he uses a hacksaw to cut plastic pipe then whinges when it
causes leaks. There's no inherent problem withpushfit fittings, and across
Europe, pushfit is replacing galvanised tube for mains water supplies
operated at much higher pressures than in the UK.

The (lack of) experience of one stupid, incompetent, arrogant fool should
not put you off using pushfit fittings. Like everything else, cleanliness,
clean cuts, using the right tools, following the manufacturer's
instructions and patience will produce a decent result every time. Buy
yourself a pipe cutter, it's well worth the time saving and lack of aggro.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have been using plastic (and copper) for years as well - I agree entirely
with Calum's findings and points, particularly... use the correct cutting
tool, you always need to use pipe support sleeves (inserts) try not to use
plastic in places liable to rodent attack (and wires for that matter) or
sleeve in steel conduit (a right pain if not impossible) the fittings are
all based on the O.D. of the pipe being used, be it plastic or copper so are
compatible and mixable even on the other end of the same fitting.

I do note, though, that the Copper pushfit available at B and Q (Easyplumb
?) does state "not for use with plastic", possibly / presumably because the
grab rings do not grab deep enough to safely use with plastic pipe.

I have been entirely happy with plastic plumbing - and it's is quicker and
less wasteful to install - learn and understand the system and install / use
as intended and you will be happy too

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:13:14 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

Until the ceiling comes down.

That only happens

Matt, you know nothing this sort of thing. Grab rings fail and hey presto.
Many will hold for days then when a tap is shut off suddenly the shock will
pop the fitting and a full bore spewing out over the ceiling. Failings tend
to be catastrophic. Matt, this is not for your info, it is for the OP, as
you are lost case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Ron
I have done a barn conversion all with plastic Hep20 barrier pipe. I
have had no problems what so ever. In fact you can even use push fit
between copper and plastic... but not chrome plated to plastic since
the chrome is a harder metal that copper, so the teeth on the push fit
dont bite.

I have a friend who used the double o ring type of fitting and had 2
leaks on a single bathroom job. I told him about Hep20 and he has had
no problems... it may have been that he was using it wrongly, but I
doubt it as he is very meticulous, but I cant be certain.

I know of one site where they stopped using Hep2O because of far too many
failures.

On the note about using plastic pipe but not push fittings I would say
the opposite.

Well your experinece id obviopusly DIY, mine is not.

After all, the braking system on many lorries is push fit
and they opperate at much higher pressures than
domestic water systems.

And are built to much higher stadards too.

The only two downsides that I can see to plastic pipes are the
potential damage by hungry mice and the lasck of aesthetics present
with copper... but then again most plumbing is contained under floors
or within cupboards... so go for the Hep2O barrier (or another of your
choice) and enjoy the speed at which you can plumb your house.

But drop the pushfit fittings and use brass compression.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" a ****kicker wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:11:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Plastic pipe is fine. Use barrier pipe. It is the pushfit fittings that
is
the problem. They give more problems than any other type of fitting by a
country mile. You can use good quality brass compression joints with
plastic
pipe using the pipe inserts. They no more, if cheaper, than pushfit. Go
this way. Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Ignore

Flags:
Note the white background.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9093860?query=%22Finland%20flag%22&ct=

Flags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Makers recommend wrapping the olives in tape? Cor - where?

In their manuals. Cor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Nick" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:09:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

Be professional about it and read the instructions and all will be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:41:13 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Ron
I have done a barn conversion all with plastic Hep20 barrier pipe. I
have had no problems what so ever. In fact you can even use push fit
between copper and plastic... but not chrome plated to plastic since
the chrome is a harder metal that copper, so the teeth on the push fit
dont bite.

I have a friend who used the double o ring type of fitting and had 2
leaks on a single bathroom job. I told him about Hep20 and he has had
no problems... it may have been that he was using it wrongly, but I
doubt it as he is very meticulous, but I cant be certain.

I know of one site where they stopped using Hep2O because of far too many
failures.

/

What happened after they confiscated the hacksaws?

On the note about using plastic pipe but not push fittings I would say
the opposite.

Well your experinece id obviopusly DIY, mine is not.

.... and yours is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:09:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

Be professional about it and read the instructions and all will be fine.

I have, I did and all has been fine, for the last 14 years anyway......

Nearly all my work is "professional" !

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Nick" wrote in message

I have, I did and all has been fine, for the last 14 years anyway......

You are lucky then.

Nearly all my work is "professional" !

Is pipefitting your profession?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:09:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

Be professional about it and read the instructions and all will be fine.

Matt, there is reason why prfessionals generally avoid the stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Ron
I have done a barn conversion all with plastic Hep20 barrier pipe. I
have had no problems what so ever. In fact you can even use push fit
between copper and plastic... but not chrome plated to plastic since
the chrome is a harder metal that copper, so the teeth on the push fit
dont bite.

I have a friend who used the double o ring type of fitting and had 2
leaks on a single bathroom job. I told him about Hep20 and he has had
no problems... it may have been that he was using it wrongly, but I
doubt it as he is very meticulous, but I cant be certain.

I know of one site where they stopped using Hep2O because of far too many
failures.

What happened

Flags:
Note the red cross on this flag.
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9093876?query=%22Iceland%20flag%22&ct=

Flags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:09:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

Be professional about it and read the instructions and all will be fine.

Matt, there is reason why prfessionals generally avoid the stuff.

There is and there was - its quicker to fit and therefore they have trouble
justifying the quotes they put out - the more honest ones accept that and
get more jobs done a month by using it...

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

For the benefit of new readers, Mr. Drivel here does have a bit of
history with pushfit fittings and hence whinges about them most of the
time.

The rest of us (who avoid cutting the pipes with a hacksaw) seem to have
no problem with them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Makers recommend wrapping the olives in tape? Cor - where?

In their manuals. Cor.

Do they? You had better show us, because there is no mention of it he

http://www.johnguest.com/catalogues/...tproductPG.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:19:38 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

The (lack of) experience of one stupid, incompetent, arrogant fool should
not put you off using pushfit fittings. Like everything else, cleanliness,
clean cuts, using the right tools, following the manufacturer's
instructions and patience will produce a decent result every time. Buy
yourself a pipe cutter, it's well worth the time saving and lack of aggro.

Is there any difference between different pipe cutters? There seems to be
quite a range of prices for them

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Makers recommend wrapping the olives in tape? Cor - where?

In their manuals. Cor.

Don't suppose you've got one you could scan - or a pdf to point us to?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Steve wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:19:38 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Is there any difference between different pipe cutters? There seems
to be quite a range of prices for them

I bought the el cheapo Silverline jobby - only one my local shop had, about
a £5. Seemed fine on the 15mm pipe, but it goes up to 41mm aledgedly. I
tried it on some solvent weld 40 odd mm pipe and it failed miserably - the
ratchet wouldn't engage.

Maybe a better one would cut bigger pipe as well?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

Until the ceiling comes down.

That only happens

Matt, this is not for your info, it is for the OP, as you are lost case.

I'm the OP.

Actually, I wasn't asking for comments on whether plastic pipe and / or
push-fit fittings are a good idea.

( I'm satisfied enough that they are. )

I was wanting to know what king of insert to use with a compression fitting,
because I didn't know if the insert was related to the pipe, or the fitting.

--
Thanks,
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well at least Doctor Drivel has derived an appropriate name for
himself. How can someone claim so much knowledge to be factual when
everyone around him is saying things to the contrary?

As to insinuating that you are the only professional giving advise.....
I dont even think the rest of us need to comment.

Your argument seems to ring similarities with professional
photographers a few years ago condeming digital over traditional film.
Now most professionals mainly use digital, keeping film for specialist
jobs. Now I would say the same for Hep2O and other good plastic
plumbing. Apart from those who still hold views of snobery, it is the
best solution for most places in most houses. That said, I like nothing
better than stepping back having spent hours with a pipe bender and
torch creating a professional looking plumbing job around an unvented
tank... but lets be honest, the customer is normally just interested
with a long lasting job and a low bottom line on the invoice.

So put your hacksaw away and buy a pipecutter... after all would you
but copper with a hacksaw in a professional environment???

Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

Until the ceiling comes down.

That only happens

Matt, this is not for your info, it is for the OP, as you are lost case.

I'm the OP.

Actually, I wasn't asking for comments on whether plastic pipe and / or
push-fit fittings are a good idea.

( I'm satisfied enough that they are. )

Well as you know sweet FA about them, take notice of a pro. Better still for
amateur prats like you an attiude,you should ignore what I said and fit
pushfit and have leaks. Be my guest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:14:03 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote
(in article ) :

Steve wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:19:38 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Is there any difference between different pipe cutters? There seems
to be quite a range of prices for them

I bought the el cheapo Silverline jobby - only one my local shop had, about
a £5. Seemed fine on the 15mm pipe, but it goes up to 41mm aledgedly. I
tried it on some solvent weld 40 odd mm pipe and it failed miserably - the
ratchet wouldn't engage.

Maybe a better one would cut bigger pipe as well?

Essentially, yes, Dave.

The basic ones will do an acceptable job of 15 and 22mm tube.

Those without a replaceable blade have to be regarded as disposable.

I bought a Rothenberger one with ratchet when I wanted to install some nylon
tube for compressed air. This is quite a bit tougher and harder than the
tube used for water and the basic cutter wouldn't do it.

I've used it to cut waste tube as well - 32 and 40mm - and the blade is
replaceable and sharpenable.

I would have thought that it is worth the investment for a regular user.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Nick" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:09:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

Be professional about it and read the instructions and all will be fine.

Matt, there is reason why professionals generally avoid the stuff.

There is

....and it is because they have more problems with the pushfit fittings. When
there is failures they tend to be catastrophic, like open ends spewing out
water. It is not quicker to fit for a pro, as they can fit copper very fast.

Best not comment on matters you know nothing of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" aka Chav wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.

For the

Flags:
Note the red background to this flag:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9093929?query=%22norway%20flag%22&ct=

Flags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
Anywho - great fan of plastic now.

Until the ceiling comes down.

That only happens

Matt, this is not for your info, it is for the OP, as you are lost case.

I'm the OP.

Actually, I wasn't asking for comments on whether plastic pipe and / or
push-fit fittings are a good idea.

( I'm satisfied enough that they are. )

I was wanting to know what king of insert to use with a compression
fitting, because I didn't know if the insert was related to the pipe, or
the fitting.

--
Thanks,
Ron

When using plastic pipe always use the insert made by the manufacturer of
the pipe (ie if using Hep pipe then use Hep inserts) These inserts are
required on all joints of plastic pipe regardless of whether they are
compression or pushfit. The insert gives the pipe the strength to make a
good fitting that will last years.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:19:38 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

The (lack of) experience of one stupid, incompetent, arrogant fool should
not put you off using pushfit fittings. Like everything else,
cleanliness,
clean cuts, using the right tools, following the manufacturer's
instructions and patience will produce a decent result every time. Buy
yourself a pipe cutter, it's well worth the time saving and lack of
aggro.

Is there any difference between different
pipe cutters? There seems to be
quite a range of prices for them

Get one that has a gun type of mechanism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Makers recommend wrapping the olives in tape? Cor - where?

In their manuals. Cor.

Do they? You had better show us, because there is no mention of it he

http://www.johnguest.com/catalogues/...tproductPG.pdf

Chav, there is more than one toy pipe maker around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well at least Doctor Drivel has derived an appropriate name for
himself. How can someone claim so much knowledge to be factual when
everyone around him is saying things to the contrary?

I am the pro they are know-it-all amateurs. Take your pick. If you want
leaks and a crap job go their way. Some of the things they suggest and
people take as correct and go off and do is amazing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:47:31 GMT, Steve wrote:

Is there any difference between different pipe cutters? There seems to be
quite a range of prices for them

Yes, but don't buy them from Homebase because they sell the cheapest
nastiest models at the same price that other outlets sell the better ones
with replaceable blades and ratchet operation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:08:08 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Makers recommend wrapping the olives in tape? Cor - where?

In their manuals. Cor.

What utter ****, makes your claims of being "professional" out to be the
self-aggransdising bull**** that they are. Get back to reading catalogues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" fresh in from kicking **** wrote in
message ...

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Wrap the olive in PTFE as per makers.

Makers recommend wrapping the olives in tape? Cor - where?

In their manuals. Cor.

What

Flags:
Note the white on the bottom of this flag:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9093857?query=%22estonia%20flag%22&ct=

Flags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Do they? You had better show us, because there is no mention of it he

http://www.johnguest.com/catalogues/...tproductPG.pdf

there is more than one toy pipe maker around.

Indeed, if you look at

http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/He...ller_Guide.pdf

Right after they say "Cut the Hep2O pipe with the recommended cutters"
(page 34)

They say apply PTFE if required for lubrication.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Well as you know sweet FA about them, take notice of a pro. Better still
for amateur prats like you an attiude,you should ignore what I said and
fit pushfit and have leaks. Be my guest.

I posted here for advice because I freely admit to having no knowledge
beyond copper / solder /compression.
That is the precise reason for posting.

But I sought advice on a specific topic. My subjet line does NOT say:
"Vent your opinions about plastic pipe and push-fit fittings: answer in less
than 1000 words"

I am NOT ( re-read that, please ) using push-fit fittings on this project.
I am simply re-connecting to some existing plastic pipework.

I REPEAT ( for the hard of hearing, or hard of thinking ):

I want to know how to select the correct inserts to use with plastic pipe
for COMPRESSION fittings.

I raised this point because there seem to be different types of insert, and
I wanted to know how to choose the correct one: was it based on pipe type,
fitting type, both, or neither.

That question has been answered by others, thank you.

As regards attittude, I'm sorry, but I can't see what you're talking about.
I'm sorry if I've offended you. I really don't see what I have done to
offend you.

Please re-read my posts, and turn the aggression down a notch or two.

--
Ron