Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

It depends on the price of oil, cement, and local labor, right? Last time I
looked (before the most recent spike/fall in oil prices), asphalt drives were
being installed for about $2/sq ft, and concrete ones were easily double that.
That was with minimal prep and no additional material.

I don't think that's going to mean a whole lot for you and your area. Best to
call around and get some local estimates. Keep in mind that contractors can play
games with the PSI of the cement and the depth of the asphalt, so make sure you
are comparing apples to apples. Permit/inspection fees may apply if you are
tying into a public road.