Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

on 4/7/2009 9:32 PM (ET) Wayne Boatwright wrote the following:
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

In retrospect, I would go for the concrete. My asphalt driveway is
floating over a shallow aquifer running underneath. The driveway has
been repaved including removing the existing asphalt and repaving with
new gravel and asphalt. In the winter, the asphalt heaves as much as 3"
above the edge of the concrete garage apron. My driveway has
indentations where the car wheels sit, and there are many cracks and
checkering all over the driveway. Next time, I will have multiple
drainage pipes installed underneath and a thick slab of concrete installed.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY