Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

willshak wrote:

on 4/7/2009 11:49 PM (ET) John Gilmer wrote the following:
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

Gravel works just fine, thank you, and you don't have much runoff as rain
usually just soaks in.

...and sinking the gravel into the mud. I had a shale driveway before I
had enough money to pave it. After a while, I had 2x12s laid down to get
to the car doors.when the ground was wet.
Gravel has to be added to regularly. It is also more difficult to remove
snow from it. Can't use a plow nor snowblower.

Actually, you can use a snowblower on a gravel driveway. You have to
drive over the first few inches of snow to get an even base pack, set
the skids on the snowblower to keep it up a couple inches and then only
clear down to the base pack.