Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

mm wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:35:29 -0700, "Pittman Pirate"
wrote:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten
any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed
before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two
materials?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Think long term. You will have more long term costs for asphalt, and the
lifespan is shorter.

Wait a second. If the lifespan is shorter, the long term will also be
shorter and so will the long term costs. So you have more shorter
long term costs.

I'm confused.

you still have to seal asphalt periodically (theoretically. I've never
sealed my driveway; in fact I doubt it's been sealed in 20 years. Been
meaning to do that but I haven't broached the subject with the neighbors
yet, and there's still some weirdness that needs to be patched.)
Concrete maintenance pretty much consists of going over it every couple
years with some crack filler for the expansion joints, and maybe
pressure washing it occasionally if it starts looking really grungy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel