Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink clips

I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a stainless
kitchen sink.

The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of clip
will fit, securing the sink to the countertop.

Unfortunately, this U-channel is like a Helvetica "U" - that is no serifs or
extensions onto which a clip will secure itself. Whatever goes in the
channel must grip the sink by expanding itself (I guess) because there's no
stop on the channel to keep the anchor from falling out.

If you know of the proper anchor, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

Posted to alt.home.repair
WW WW is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a stainless
kitchen sink.

The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of clip
will fit, securing the sink to the countertop.

Unfortunately, this U-channel is like a Helvetica "U" - that is no serifs
or extensions onto which a clip will secure itself. Whatever goes in the
channel must grip the sink by expanding itself (I guess) because there's
no stop on the channel to keep the anchor from falling out.

If you know of the proper anchor, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

The proper clips have a screw in them that tightens against the counter top.
If you cannot find them glue it with silicone adhesive. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a
stainless kitchen sink.

The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of
clip will fit, securing the sink to the countertop.

Unfortunately, this U-channel is like a Helvetica "U" - that is no
serifs or extensions onto which a clip will secure itself. Whatever
goes in the channel must grip the sink by expanding itself (I guess)
because there's no stop on the channel to keep the anchor from
falling out. If you know of the proper anchor, I'd appreciate hearing
about it.

Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

The proper clips have a screw in them that tightens against the
counter top. If you cannot find them glue it with silicone adhesive.
WW

Thanks, but that's not the issue.

The problem is attaching the clips to the SINK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

. . . Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

The proper clips have a screw in them that tightens against the
counter top. If you cannot find them glue it with silicone adhesive.
WW

Thanks, but that's not the issue.

The problem is attaching the clips to the SINK.

What did the vendor of the sink tell you?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

. . . Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

The proper clips have a screw in them that tightens against the
counter top. If you cannot find them glue it with silicone adhesive.
WW

Thanks, but that's not the issue.

The problem is attaching the clips to the SINK.

What did the vendor of the sink tell you?

Nothing. Bought on clearance sale a dozen or more years ago. Sink is okay, I
replaced the counter. In its immediately preceding life, the sink wasn't
anchored at all, depending, I suppose, on gravity - or goodwill - to keep it
in place.

This arrangement allowed some small amount of moisture to infiltrate the
particle-board substrate with predictable results - hence the rebuild.

Now, I'm trying to do the job right and am flummoxed over holding the sink
down. Fooey!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

. . . Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...
The proper clips have a screw in them that tightens against the
counter top. If you cannot find them glue it with silicone adhesive.
WW
Thanks, but that's not the issue.

The problem is attaching the clips to the SINK.

What did the vendor of the sink tell you?

Nothing. Bought on clearance sale a dozen or more years ago. Sink is okay, I
replaced the counter. In its immediately preceding life, the sink wasn't
anchored at all, depending, I suppose, on gravity - or goodwill - to keep it
in place.

This arrangement allowed some small amount of moisture to infiltrate the
particle-board substrate with predictable results - hence the rebuild.

Now, I'm trying to do the job right and am flummoxed over holding the sink
down. Fooey!

As someone else already said, simply use a silicone bead if available
clamps won't work satisfactorily. Use some weight as the brads "until
the glue dries"...

I've seen at least one sink that the clip rail has holes punched in it
and the clips have a hook for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are myriad clips made to adapt to sinks of all rim configurations.

Here are just a few -
http://d21c.com/krnspn/PIC2/sinkclips.html

Guess I'd have to lug that bad boy to a plumbing supply house, and ask
the counter man what he's got to git 'er done.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:46:07 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Now, I'm trying to do the job right and am flummoxed over holding the sink
down. Fooey!

Any of these look helpful? Sink Rim Mounting Clips

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now, I'm trying to do the job right and am flummoxed over holding
the sink down. Fooey!

Any of these look helpful? Sink Rim Mounting Clips

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html

Sadly, no. I bought a pack of #65, but there's nothing for the the "J" hook
to grab.

Woe is me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:12:48 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a stainless
kitchen sink.

The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of clip
will fit, securing the sink to the countertop.

Unfortunately, this U-channel is like a Helvetica "U" - that is no serifs or
extensions onto which a clip will secure itself. Whatever goes in the
channel must grip the sink by expanding itself (I guess) because there's no
stop on the channel to keep the anchor from falling out.

If you know of the proper anchor, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

The sink is supposed to have an aluminum frame around it between the
counter and sink.
The clips that hold the frame in look like these. The clips are of
different shapes to adjust for the counter top thickness.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZD7RK/...0&linkCode=asn

The frame looks like this. The frames come in all sizes.The frame overlap
the sink edge and the counter-top with a sealing agent under the frame. The
frame cross section is the shape of a "T" with a hook edge at the bottom
of the "T". The clip hooks on this hooked edge of the "T".
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1279031

Hope this makes sense. If not ask and I will try to make it clearer.
I couldn't find a better example.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:16:20 -0500, RLM wrote:

[...]

This example shows adjustable clips for the frame.
http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...goryId=2631417

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but all your example involve some sort of "J" bracket that hooks on
to something. In my case there is nothing to hook onto!

There is a "U" frame circling the sink, but it has no lips (kinda like I
felt after dating a University of Texas Longhorn Band French Horn player) to
hook onto.

I'm a goner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

RLM wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZD7RK/...RK704885?smid=
A25DVOZOPBFMAN&tag=dealt57199-20&linkCode=asn

[...]

HeyBub, can't post a pic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

There is a "U" frame circling the sink, but it has no lips (kinda like I
felt after dating a University of Texas Longhorn Band French Horn player)
to hook onto.

owwww Blowjob is only a figure of speech :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:01:12 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

There is a "U" frame circling the sink, but it has no lips (kinda like I
felt after dating a University of Texas Longhorn Band French Horn player) to
hook onto.

I'm a goner.

Take another look at the "corner clip". Looks like it has a thumb
screw. Insert the clip at a corner(s) and not along the sides of the
sink.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is a "U" frame circling the sink, but it has no lips (kinda like I
felt after dating a University of Texas Longhorn Band French Horn player)
hook onto.

I'm a goner.

Take another look at the "corner clip". Looks like it has a thumb
screw. Insert the clip at a corner(s) and not along the sides of the
sink.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html

This it?
http://retrorenovation.com/wp-conten...sink-clips.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:33:39 -0600, "1D10T" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

There is a "U" frame circling the sink, but it has no lips (kinda like I
felt after dating a University of Texas Longhorn Band French Horn player)
hook onto.

I'm a goner.

Take another look at the "corner clip". Looks like it has a thumb
screw. Insert the clip at a corner(s) and not along the sides of the
sink.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html

This it?

No. Look at the link above for a corner clip, one I'm mentioning.

http://retrorenovation.com/wp-conten...sink-clips.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:46:07 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

. . . Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

The proper clips have a screw in them that tightens against the
counter top. If you cannot find them glue it with silicone adhesive.
WW

Thanks, but that's not the issue.

The problem is attaching the clips to the SINK.

What did the vendor of the sink tell you?

Nothing. Bought on clearance sale a dozen or more years ago. Sink is okay, I
replaced the counter. In its immediately preceding life, the sink wasn't
anchored at all, depending, I suppose, on gravity - or goodwill - to keep it
in place.

Gravity is still working, but global warming makes its long time
future dubious.

This arrangement allowed some small amount of moisture to infiltrate the
particle-board substrate with predictable results - hence the rebuild.

Now, I'm trying to do the job right and am flummoxed over holding the sink
down. Fooey!

Go look at your friends' sinks, or better yet, sinks on display
whereever you bought the sink.

My kitchen sink was simply attached, though I don't remember how.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is a "U" frame circling the sink, but it has no lips (kinda
like I felt after dating a University of Texas Longhorn Band French
Horn player) to
hook onto.

I'm a goner.

Take another look at the "corner clip". Looks like it has a thumb
screw. Insert the clip at a corner(s) and not along the sides of the
sink.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html

This it?
http://retrorenovation.com/wp-conten...sink-clips.jpg

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which anything
else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your picture has some
well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can grip.

Well, fugg it. It's not like the sonofabitch is gonna levitate itself into
the cosmic ether or miracle itself into the next room!

Thanks, everybody, for the searching and suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
1D10T wrote:

This it?
http://retrorenovation.com/wp-conten...sink-clips.jpg

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which anything
else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your picture has
some well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can grip.

Well, fugg it. It's not like the sonofabitch is gonna levitate itself into
the cosmic ether or miracle itself into the next room!

Last ditch perhaps, but here goes - - - -

Embed the sink in a good bead of silicon, get it squared with the counter
edges and place a cement block or two in the basin(s) and let it sit for a
day or two.
Don't laugh at me - I've done it in a workshop counter three years ago and
it's still hanging in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
1D10T wrote:

This it?
http://retrorenovation.com/wp-conten...sink-clips.jpg

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which anything
else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your picture has
some well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can grip.

Well, fugg it. It's not like the sonofabitch is gonna levitate itself into
the cosmic ether or miracle itself into the next room!

Last ditch perhaps, but here goes - - - -

Embed the sink in a good bead of silicon, get it squared with the counter
edges and place a cement block or two in the basin(s) and let it sit for a
day or two.
Don't laugh at me - I've done it in a workshop counter three years ago and
it's still hanging in there.

Good 'nothing to lose' workaround, but rather than scratch and bend the
basins with concrete block, I'd cut a scrap of plywood to fit over the
top, resting on the edge flanges, and stack the weights on that. That
will provide more even pressure, straight down on the silicone sealant.
A ring of something like that is how previous owner mounted the vanity
sink in this place, and it held till I had to apply excessive torque
changing out the trap. That was at least ten years.

--
aem sends..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 11:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a stainless
kitchen sink.

The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of clip
will fit, securing the sink to the countertop.

Unfortunately, this U-channel is like a Helvetica "U" - that is no serifs or
extensions onto which a clip will secure itself. Whatever goes in the
channel must grip the sink by expanding itself (I guess) because there's no
stop on the channel to keep the anchor from falling out.

If you know of the proper anchor, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Else I'll just have to nail the sucker down...

I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what you have on your hands,
but would epoxying some nuts into the channel help? If you have
enough of them the load on each will be pretty low.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Now, I'm trying to do the job right and am flummoxed over holding
the sink down. Fooey!

Any of these look helpful? Sink Rim Mounting Clips

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sinkclips.html

Sadly, no. I bought a pack of #65, but there's nothing for the the "J" hook
to grab.

Woe is me.

You may have to wash your dishes in the cement pond.

Or if you don't have one of those, in the gutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a stainless
kitchen sink.

The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of
clip will fit, securing the sink to the countertop.

Unfortunately, this U-channel is like a Helvetica "U" - that is no
serifs or extensions onto which a clip will secure itself. Whatever
goes in the channel must grip the sink by expanding itself (I guess)
because there's no stop on the channel to keep the anchor from
falling out.

You 100% sure about that Bub? All the channels I have ever seen have a
ridge in them or are shaped so that the clip will catch when it is
tightened. That ridge or shape may be almost indiscernible but I'm betting
it is there.
__________

If you know of the proper anchor, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

If you know the manufacturer of the sink they would have it. That's the
best bet as the clips vary in size and design with manufacturer. If you
don't, Home Depot, Ace, etc. have generic clips. I'm sure plumbing supply
stores do too. Some different styles...
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/sinkclip

One thing about the generics...not long ago I was putting in a used SS sink
in my shop and had to get clips at HD. Well, they were really too short for
3/4 ply so I had to bevel the bottom edges of the opening so they would bear
on the wood. They were like these from Ace but the tab was fixed rather
than sliding. Wish I'd seen them, I wouldn't have had to bevel.
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...37.html?ref=42

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which
anything else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your
picture has some well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can
grip.

1. Dremel tool
2. Make slots
3. Install sink

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 2/3/2009 6:01 PM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:
RLM wrote:

[...]

I can't imagine any type of clamp that would work with what you have
described. Perhaps that sink missed a step in manufacturing and got
though inspection? Maybe that's why it was on clearance. How about a
bead of epoxy putty under the sink rim?.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Woe is me.

You may have to wash your dishes in the cement pond.

Or if you don't have one of those, in the gutter.

Nah, got a dishwasher.

About the only thing for which the sink is actually used is as a staging
area for the dirty dishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which
anything else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your
picture has some well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can
grip.

1. Dremel tool
2. Make slots
3. Install sink

That solution is like the old saying: "You can't get there from here. You
have to start from somewhere else."

Your idea is absolutely brilliant! Like Ben Franklin's invention of the
bifocal glasses - incredibly obvious, but no one thought of it before.

Thinking outside the box and imminently more practical than "Can you fashion
some sort of lathe?" I don't think I'm being premature in saying "Thank
you."

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which
anything else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your
picture has some well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can
grip.

1. Dremel tool
2. Make slots
3. Install sink

That solution is like the old saying: "You can't get there from here.
You have to start from somewhere else."

Your idea is absolutely brilliant! Like Ben Franklin's invention of
the bifocal glasses - incredibly obvious, but no one thought of it
before.
Thinking outside the box and imminently more practical than "Can you
fashion some sort of lathe?" I don't think I'm being premature in
saying "Thank you."

Aw, shucks, twern't nuthin'

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in newsymil.18114$NV1.9284
@newsfe01.ams2:

HeyBub wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Lamentably, no. There is nothing about the *&$%@! sink to which
anything else can clip, hook, grab, infiltrate, tie, or grasp. Your
picture has some well-placed slots into which some maner of clip can
grip.

1. Dremel tool
2. Make slots
3. Install sink

That solution is like the old saying: "You can't get there from here.
You have to start from somewhere else."

Your idea is absolutely brilliant! Like Ben Franklin's invention of
the bifocal glasses - incredibly obvious, but no one thought of it
before.
Thinking outside the box and imminently more practical than "Can you
fashion some sort of lathe?" I don't think I'm being premature in
saying "Thank you."

Aw, shucks, twern't nuthin'

You need to change your handle to AbsolutelyBrilliant :-)

Lay-on stainless steel kitchen sink clips [email protected] UK diy 1 January 30th 06 02:57 PM
Extra Long Sink Clips [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 13th 06 02:58 PM
Sink clips Anna Kettle UK diy 14 December 22nd 05 08:23 PM
Sink Clips Caliban Home Repair 4 September 3rd 03 08:40 PM