Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extra Long Sink Clips

I'm within sight of the completion of my kitchen remodel, but hit a
roadblock tonight. I got my formica counters yesterday and went to
install the sink. The counter my sink goes into is an "L" at 8 X 5
feet, so I already screwed it down to the cabinets to keep it steady.
Sink base is a 27". Sink is a stainless 25 X 22 kohler.

No template with the stainless sink, so I flipped it over and traced
the outline in pencil on the counter. Instructions say to mark a line
1/4 inch in from the outside, so to be safe I went 1/2 and figured I
could enlarge if needed. I remeasured about 10 times, and scored the
cut line to prevent the laminate from chipping. THEN I realized the
front cut line was was over the cabinet front. I backed up the
measurements to cut right against the inside front of the cabinet - I
can't go back too far because of the window sill. The sink edge will
still cover my mistake formica score, so I am not too worried there. I
also realized once I started cutting that the cutout also went into the
wood in the cabinet corners for attaching the counter. I detoured my
cut around them (mostly), plus I had issues with the window sill, so my
cutout is now 24 1/4 by 20 with large radius corners, so it is still
undersize.

My problem now is that the front sink clips will have to grab the
cabinet frame instead of the underside of the counter, and the clips
are not long enough. My searches have not found any extra long sink
clips. The sides are pretty tight too. Anywhere to get extra long sink
clips? I really don't want to have to cut into the cabinet frame to
create a pocket.

I'm also considering upgrading to a cast iron sink. If I understand
correctly, these typically don't need clips as their weight and some
caulk will keep them from going anywhere???

Also, are there any 30 or 31" cast iron sinks out there that would fit
in a cutout in a 27" cabinet (26" maximum cutout width)?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can you use longer screws with your clips? Can you use a different style
clip that can acomodate a longer screw?
Also, are there any 30 or 31" cast iron sinks out there that would fit
in a cutout in a 27" cabinet (26" maximum cutout width)?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The screws are welded to the tab that goes into the sink rim, so they
really can't be changed easily. I have the idea of using a nut coupler
and adding some additional threaded rod to extend it. My problem now
is that I can't find a #6 coupler at Lowes or HD.

Will keep searching.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

I ended up some months ago, I adding tile to a previously formica'ed
bathroom vanity - kept the existing sink - the added depth with the
tile, required a longer sink clip. I found a workable solution as Ace
Hardware (bought Al clips at the one-off price).

-Mike

"No" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

My problem now is that the front sink clips will have to grab the
cabinet frame instead of the underside of the counter, and the clips
are not long enough. My searches have not found any extra long sink
clips. The sides are pretty tight too. Anywhere to get extra long sink
clips? I really don't want to have to cut into the cabinet frame to
create a pocket.

I'm also considering upgrading to a cast iron sink. If I understand
correctly, these typically don't need clips as their weight and some
caulk will keep them from going anywhere???

Can you use longer screws with your clips? Can you use a different style
clip that can acomodate a longer screw?
Also, are there any 30 or 31" cast iron sinks out there that would fit
in a cutout in a 27" cabinet (26" maximum cutout width)?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
The screws are welded to the tab that goes into the sink rim, so they
really can't be changed easily. I have the idea of using a nut coupler
and adding some additional threaded rod to extend it. My problem now
is that I can't find a #6 coupler at Lowes or HD.

Will keep searching.

Bet you bought that sink at Lowes. At least that is where I bought the same
piece of crap. Take it back and buy one that uses the standard style sink
mounts. That solved my problem though I still had to do a little notching.

You may still have to do the cutouts. And no I have never seen more than
one size. Different brands are slightly different.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly what part of the sink did you trace? I think that may be the
root cause of your many problems. I hope you haven't started cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Exactly what part of the sink did you trace? I think that may be the
root cause of your many problems. I hope you haven't started cutting.

Let me re-phrase that. I hope you haven't started cutting too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The sink is from Lowes. I was going to exchange for a cast iron, but
nobody seems to carry anything but white in stock - wanted black. I
decided to stick with the stainless.

The trace was the outside edge of the sink, with it upside down on the
counter. Not the most accurate way since the edge is raised off the
counter and the angle you hold the pencil can translate to a 1/4"
error either way. I then measured 1/4 in from that line for the cut.
A 10 cent paper template with the sink would have been MUCH easier, but
they don't give you one. Final cutout should be 24.5 by 21.5 - my cut
ended up a little smaller, but I squeezed it in.

I could not find #6 coupling nuts, but I did find the nuts that you can
recess into wood - teeth on the outside to grip. Sorry, can't remember
the official name. Picked up a few of those and a 12" piece of
threaded rod. I managed to make a coupling - not the prettiest thing,
but its under the sink and works.

I have to agree those sink clips are a bad design. Even on the ones
that did not need to be extended I had to dremmel off part of the screw
to get a nut driver on them - not easy to work with in the 2" space
between the sink bowl and cabinet wall.

Its installed, no gaps or leaks so I'm happy.