Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight Tools

I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 9:40�pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. �Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. �Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

great for tools only needed now and then, like a hammer drill, i use
mine perhaps every 2 or 3 years.

pro tools are far bettyer but costly
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a
layman like me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you
really get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive
brands, bulkier and not as functional.

Well, they're a good way to find out if you need the tool. I bought an angle
grinder for, like, $7.98 or something. My Lord, I never imagined the uses to
which I could put the tool! I've used it for:

* Removing the concrete nails from carpet tack strips (actually just cutting
them off).
* Cutting window screen frames
* Undercutting trim to lay flooring such as laminate or tile
* Trimming branches - a lot less trouble than a chain saw

On "Black Friday" I'm gonna find out how well their $40.00 knock-off of a
MultiMaster works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We get this question once a year, or so. Turns into one of the longest
threads on the group. Anyhow, I'll play.

Hmm. Pittsburgh flare wrenches. Some years ago. Too big for English nuts,
and I don't have any metrics. Metal too soft. Ended up pitch em in the short
steel.

Hammers. Took me several to find a design I like. Ended up with 24 ounce
waffle faced ripping / framing hammer. I can pound staples, and they don't
go flying like the polished faced hammers. Ripping claw useful for taking
apart sheet metal ducts.

Impact wrench. Got the electric plug in model. Works fine.

Electric sheet metal shear. Needs allen wrench to loosen the "swivel head".
But other than that, works fine.

I'll think of more, in the morning. Will help extend the life of this
thread.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

Their lineup ranges from high quality items at amazingly low prices to
absolute junk that they should pay you to take. Given that range, it is
pretty much critical to either have a HF store where you can inspect an
item in person, or reliable reviews to the specific item. It also helps
to have a very good understanding of a given tool and where potential
weaknesses would be found.

Items like hammers and the like are pretty safe bets. Many of the air
tools are decent if a bit high on air consumption. The digital calipers
and the micrometer set are exceptional deals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 8:40*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. *Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. *Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

Bought a great tile saw from them for $199 and couldn't be more
pleased with the unit. I had searched other locaions and couldn't
find anything nearly as good for twice the price. Nail gun I got from
them was fair but for the price, I have gotten several times the value
that I paid. Engine hoist has also been well worth the price. Like
anything else, you have to be aware of what you are looking for and
how you intend to use it.

PS: I have since seen as least two professioinal tile installers who
were using an HF Tilesaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2008 6:40 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

Recently picked up their "sawzall" (Chicago reciprocating saw) for $20.
How could I *not* buy it at that price? It's worked as well as I could
have wanted it to on half-a-dozen jobs since then and shows no signs of
quitting.

Of course, if I used this tool hard every day, I'd get a "real"
(brand-name) one, but for the amount of use I'm likely to give it, it
seems to be just fine.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2008 6:58 PM HeyBub spake thus:

On "Black Friday" I'm gonna find out how well their $40.00 knock-off of a
MultiMaster works.

Please report your findings back here afterwards. I'm interested in this
tool too.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

The store here had lead hammers on display and
the typical two legged assholes who wander the
aisles ruined every single lead hammer they had
in stock. They are the same actinic sphincters
who open all the boxes and scatter the contents.
A contractor can buy a cheap drill there and use
it for one job and not be out a lot of money when
someone inevitably swipes it from the job site.
I buy tools from Harbor Freight for loaners, I'll
hide my expensive tools whenever a tool predator
comes to visit.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote:

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

The unstated part of this question is usually something like, "Are the
Lowes/Home Depot/Sears tools any better? Usually some fanboy will jump in and
make a blanket statement about how their favorite supplier makes a full range or
perfect tools.

The fact is that most of the low range tools regardless of where you buy them
from are made in China or some other Asian location. Some work fine, others are
junk.

HF products tend to not be leading edge, so you won't see a lithium powered
Hitachi equivilent.

In my experience, the chucks on their drills aren't quite as good as a quality
brand. They don't guide the bit as well when tightening and loosen up while
using.

Their drill bits are crap. They may be titanium coated at the molecular level,
but they don't clear sawdust while drilling very well. They also don't seem to
be very sharp to begin with. OTOH, you can buy a box of 50 and toss them after
the job when they cost less than $10 on sale.

Their saws are fine. In fact, I really like my 12" compound chop saw.

Grinders and other hand tools are fine. I wouldn't buy production equipment
there, but for household use they work fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 9:33*am, Robert Neville wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

I agree with most of the above and hallerb's opinion. HF is great
for a tool that is either essential for a particular job or makes it a
lot easier, but that you will only need for only light, occasional
use. They do have some tools that could be good for regular, steady
use, but usually for that there are better though more expensive
options. For example, if I were buying a set of combination
wrenches, I would go with Craftsman or similar, because the HF ones
are cheap, not precision made, more likely to round of a head, rust,
etc. On the other hand, I bought a sand blaster there to do my
concrete patio with and for like $75 it not only was fine, but HF was
the only place I could find one. I have a local store 15 mins away
here that makes it a lot easier.

My only real bad experience was I bought a slip ring plier set a while
back. They had such soft tips that they just bent. I returned them
and they took them back, no questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:34:07 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

Fine for occasional use by the hobbyist, but not for a machinist. As a
machinist I want Starret, Mitutoyo, high end SPI, etc., basically just
about anything German, Swiss, Japanese, or American, with rare exceptions.
OTOH, I did buy a dial indicator, mount, and a few other oddball items from
HF to have in case I needed them. Never used them much so didn't upgrade
to the real stuff. I ended up using the dial indicator 2-3 times in a year
and never for anything critical. If I were to have a real need for them I
would have bought a real dial indicator. Their vernier caliper needed to
be replaced after only a month of use due to soft "hardened" steel. I
bought a cheap $7 off brand from MCS Industrial supply and it lasted over a
year and is still in great condition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:18:54 -0500, Claude Hopper wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

I bought a battery drill that is pretty much crap. The price was good,
came with 2 batteries, one of which was broken. It has low run time and
hardly no power. Had to go buy one at Loew's.

My son bought one and I tried to use it to change outlets and covers in a
house we bought (they had up to 3 different colors in one room). The
battery didn't last a whole room. In about a year I am also on my 3rd
Dewalt cordless hammerdrill. The clutch is junk, driving screws through
decking on setting 1 and the locking chuck doesn't, often dropping drill
bits. For cordless drills, stick with Milwaukee or Hitachi.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Items like hammers and the like are pretty safe bets. Many of the air
tools are decent if a bit high on air consumption. The digital
calipers and the micrometer set are exceptional deals.

On the other hand, a pneumatic impact hammer for less than $5.00 (on sale
with 4 bits) and used for ripping up carpet tack strips is a bargain even if
it used twice the air. I also got a brad nailer (up to 2") for $20.00 and
installed about a million feet of baseboards in eight minutes (not counting
breaks). Woo-woo!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman
like me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you
really get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands,
bulkier and not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

I have purchased a ROBOZIP knock off from them for like $29.00 but it was
not doing anything for me, so I tossed it.

The hammers, PVC cutters, screw drivers, plumber's pliers I got from them
was bargain price, and I found them to be acceptable quality to me at least.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Recently picked up their "sawzall" (Chicago reciprocating saw) for
$20. How could I not buy it at that price? It's worked as well as I
could have wanted it to on half-a-dozen jobs since then and shows no
signs of quitting.

I have the same saw and have been happy with it also. I let a handyman
use it to cut out a window sill a couple of years ago and he was
impressed with it also. After telling him how much it cost he asked
for the catalog from me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ike Ike is offline

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:40:40 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

I have purchased quite a few tools from HF over the years. A few are
junk. Most are a great bargain. And a few are exceptional values. The
way I look at it, I could never justify the expense of a professional
quality tool for the amount of use I will give it. And given the
choice of having the right tool for the job or not having the tool at
all, I am grateful I can buy a cheap tool at HF that gets the job done
for the fews times I need it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

What are your experience?

MC

The first time I went to the local HF store I walked out without buying
anything because all the items I wanted (advertised in a newspaper flyer)
were already sold out. From that I learned that if you want a sale item you
had better be there when the doors open.

The trick with shopping at HF is to be honest about what you expect from
what you buy there because most of what they sell is lower-quality Chinese
copies of U.S. or European-made tools. I'm entirely happy with simple items
like clamps, wire brushes, work gloves, tool bags and so on. If I was
buying a power tool I'd look up user reviews first to see if the particular
HF tool already had a good or bad reputation. Sometimes their prices are so
low that if the tool works okay for one big job you could get rid of it when
you're done and still feel you got a good deal. Just remember, you usually
get what you pay for, so don't expect a hundred dollars of quality from a
twenty dollar tool. But maybe the twenty dollar version is all you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Nov 13, 8:40*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. *Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. *Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

I bought a torque wrench from them a few years back. Compared the
torque readings against one that had been calibrated by a precision
measurement lab. The HF one was within 2% of the calibrated one. I
was definitely surprised.
Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 2:57�pm, Red wrote:
On Nov 13, 8:40�pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. �Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. �Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

I bought a torque wrench from them a few years back. Compared the
torque readings against one that had been calibrated by a precision
measurement lab. �The HF one was within 2% of the calibrated one. I
was definitely surprised.
Red

not all chines poroducts are bad.

they may be better than off brand stuff produced in the US, and heres
why.

A US producer may cut costs so much, by cheaping out on parts that a
chines item of the same basic design is better.

china can afford slightly better materials because the lkabor costs
are so low.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

I'll second that angle grinder motion. Mine has lasted several years and
I must use it on something or other about once a month. With the right
wheel installed I can even do a pretty fair occasional job cutting and
shaping a ceramic tile or two.

I have bought some "not too often needed" tools like a set of glass
drills from them, but I swear the most useful tools I've bought from
them are their sets of two strap wrenches. I just ordered a bunch more
of those from them for stocking stuffers this year.

OTOH sometimes their tools are real ****e. I added a set of stubby
ratchet handles to an order earlier this year thinking they'd come in
handy as space under the hoods of my cars shrinks. They were awful. One
didn't even ratchet and the ratchet action on another of the three was
intermittant at best. I returned 'em and got full credit.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tool predators. Hmm. Is that a genetic mutation, perhaps?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I buy tools from Harbor Freight for loaners, I'll
hide my expensive tools whenever a tool predator
comes to visit.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 6:11*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

I swear the most useful tools I've bought from them are their
sets of two strap wrenches...

Just so we get both sides of that story, I bought a HF strap wrench
and the strap broke the first time I used it. I wish I could remember
what I was using it on but I don't. It was way too many projects ago.

The only powered tools I've bought from them was a Drill Doctor
knockoff (sucked big time) and a rechargable screwdriver set with six
million bit and sockets. The battery lasted about 30 seconds, which
was longer than the magnet that holds the bits stayed inside the
shaft.

Oh wait, I forgot. I bought a nose hair trimmer at one of their
sidewalk sales. Been using it for years. Fine tool.

I also bought an air compressor similiar to this - does that count as
a power tool?

It seems to work fine, but the capacity is just about useless, at
least for what I use it for. I can't even blow the dust out of a
single computer or off of a project without recharging the tank 2 or 3
times, at about 10 minutes per charge. I did blow up - and I mean
*blow up*! - a basketball with it the other day. My daughter is not
happy, It was her best outdoor basketball. I guess we'll be going to
Dick's this weekend.

As far as gloves (work and vinyl), wire brushes, tarps and other throw-
away items, their prices are the best, especially if you can catch one
of their deeply discounted sidewalk sales.
Posted to alt.home.repair

another rehash of hf quality... gee.. i wanna die....

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip tales of [mostly bad] HF tool reviews-

They sell lots of junk- which sometimes is 'good enough'. [air nailers
and angle grinders for $10 come to mind] They also occasionally have
name brand stuff at 'junk' prices.

I also bought an air compressor similiar to this - does that count as
a power tool?

It seems to work fine, but the capacity is just about useless, at
least for what I use it for.

The capacity is pretty evident. 2 gallons is 2 gallons whether you
buy at HF $80 or Amazon for $369
[ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RAX6 ]

I can't even blow the dust out of a
single computer or off of a project without recharging the tank 2 or 3
times, at about 10 minutes per charge.

Note the HF blurb says it is good for air-brushing, inflating, and
brad nailing. Cleaning stuff with a blowgun takes a lot of air.

I did blow up - and I mean
*blow up*! - a basketball with it the other day. My daughter is not
happy, It was her best outdoor basketball. I guess we'll be going to
Dick's this weekend.

You aren't implying that a better compressor would have saved the
basketball are you?

As far as gloves (work and vinyl), wire brushes, tarps and other throw-
away items, their prices are the best, especially if you can catch one
of their deeply discounted sidewalk sales.

My 'best deal' is their $2 rubber knee pads. I paid $20 for a pair
from sears a few years ago. Now I have 4 prs lying around. My old
knees need the pampering and my jeans seem to last longer, too.

angle grinders--- I keep my good one [Hitachi?] with a metal cutting
disk. But for $10, it is easier to have one standing by with a
grinding disk in it already.

Brad nailers- again, for $10, it is sometimes easier to have 2
lying on the bench with different size nails.

I count myself as very fortunate to have a HF store nearby. I
wouldn't order from their catalog because their shipping is high- and
you can't look at anything before you buy.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 14, 2:57�pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Uh, WHAT off-brand stuff produced in US? I haven't seen any
north-america-produced entry-level or generic tools (or much of anything
else, for that matter) in years and years. Even the 'commercial grade'
stuff is often produced elsewhere, or has a lot of overseas components.

My whine of the year on the subject- I needed to buy a hoe. A simple
freaking HOE. I looked six different places, and could not find one that
wasn't made in China. This country can't even produce blacksmith-level
items any more? Sad, just sad.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 8:08*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip tales of [mostly bad] HF tool reviews-

They sell lots of junk- which sometimes is 'good enough'. [air nailers
and angle grinders for $10 come to mind] *They also occasionally have
name brand stuff at 'junk' prices.

I also bought an air compressor similiar to this - *does that count as
a power tool?

It seems to work fine, but the capacity is just about useless, at
least for what I use it for.

The capacity is pretty evident. *2 gallons is 2 gallons whether you
buy at HF $80 or Amazon for $369
[http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RAX6]

I can't even blow the dust out of a
single computer or off of a project without recharging the tank 2 or 3
times, at about 10 minutes per charge.

Note the HF blurb says it is good for air-brushing, inflating, and
brad nailing. * Cleaning stuff with a blowgun takes a lot of air. *

And something I didn't know until I bought the unit. Now I know why
some people have those huge tanks in the cornor of the garages. :-)

I did blow up - and I mean
*blow up*! - a basketball with it the other day. My daughter is not
happy, It was her best outdoor basketball. I guess we'll be going to
Dick's this weekend.

You aren't implying that a better compressor would have saved the
basketball are you?

Nope...that was nothing more than a tale of woe.

As far as gloves (work and vinyl), wire brushes, tarps and other throw-
away items, their prices are the best, especially if you can catch one
of their deeply discounted sidewalk sales.

My 'best deal' is their $2 rubber knee pads. * *I paid $20 for a pair
from sears a few years ago. * Now I have 4 prs lying around. *My old
knees need the pampering and my jeans seem to last longer, too.

angle grinders--- * I keep my good one [Hitachi?] with a metal cutting
disk. *But for $10, it is easier to have one standing by with a
grinding disk in it already.

Brad nailers- * *again, for $10, it is sometimes easier to have 2
lying *on the bench with different size nails.

I got an Arrow elecric brad nailer as gift. Convenient, and not bad
for getting the brads started, but 90% of the time you have to follow
up with a tack hammer to set the heads. Maybe I oughta pick up HF $10
nailer to see the difference.

I count myself as very fortunate to have a HF store nearby. * I
wouldn't order from their catalog because their shipping is high- and
you can't look at anything before you buy. *

Same for me.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 7:50*am, wrote:
* *another rehash of hf quality... gee.. i wanna die....

Hey, it's Christmas time and funds are tighter this year, but we still
want our toys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops.... sad to hear that the compressor has such a low output. Yeah, they
are supposed to be oilless. One 12 volt compressor I got, years ago, needed
a drop of oil into the air intake every now and again. To keep the piston
walls lubricated.

I use small scissors for nose hair trimming.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Oh wait, I forgot. I bought a nose hair trimmer at one of their
sidewalk sales. Been using it for years. Fine tool.

I also bought an air compressor similiar to this - does that count as
a power tool?

It seems to work fine, but the capacity is just about useless, at
least for what I use it for. I can't even blow the dust out of a
single computer or off of a project without recharging the tank 2 or 3
times, at about 10 minutes per charge. I did blow up - and I mean
*blow up*! - a basketball with it the other day. My daughter is not
happy, It was her best outdoor basketball. I guess we'll be going to
Dick's this weekend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even some of our elected officials have foreign made ho.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

My whine of the year on the subject- I needed to buy a hoe. A simple
freaking HOE. I looked six different places, and could not find one that
wasn't made in China. This country can't even produce blacksmith-level
items any more? Sad, just sad.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-

My whine of the year on the subject- I needed to buy a hoe. A simple
freaking HOE. I looked six different places, and could not find one that
wasn't made in China. This country can't even produce blacksmith-level
items any more? Sad, just sad.

Flea markets and estate sales are the best place to get replacement
garden tools- unless you can afford LeeValley.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/index.aspx?c=1

I've got a great collection of hoes and shovels that have already
survived one gardener and are sure to outlast me. [and haven't paid
more than $10 for any of them]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

--

That is essentially what he biscuit joiners are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Uh, WHAT off-brand stuff produced in US? I haven't seen any
north-america-produced entry-level or generic tools (or much of
anything else, for that matter) in years and years. Even the
'commercial grade' stuff is often produced elsewhere, or has a lot of
overseas components.
My whine of the year on the subject- I needed to buy a hoe. A simple
freaking HOE. I looked six different places, and could not find one
that wasn't made in China. This country can't even produce
blacksmith-level items any more? Sad, just sad.

We could, but no (sane) person would buy a blacksmith-produced hoe. In order
to produce a domestic hoe that could compete, price-wise, with a Chinese
hoe, our industry would have to stamp them out of papier-machie
(high-quality ones out of plastic).

It's not sad - it's a cause for celebration! Each country should do what it
does best and enter into trade with another country. By doing so, the
citizens of both countries benefit. Adam Smith settled this hash in the 18th
century with his "Wealth of Nations;" I recommend it to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

One cool thing you can get for the angle grinders (though I haven't seen
them at HF) is structured carbide carving wheels, there is also a
version that uses a short section of chain saw chain around a wheel.
Carve your self a totem pole or something with one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Nov 15, 8:08*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I can't even blow the dust out of a
single computer or off of a project without recharging the tank 2 or 3
times, at about 10 minutes per charge.

Note the HF blurb says it is good for air-brushing, inflating, and
brad nailing. * Cleaning stuff with a blowgun takes a lot of air. *

And something I didn't know until I bought the unit. Now I know why
some people have those huge tanks in the cornor of the garages. :-)

I've got a 10gallon tank that I cart to wherever my compressor isn't.
If it has a full charge of 100 lbs I can usually clean a keyboard off
before I might better blow on it.

My compressor is from HF, too- I think it is 2 HP & 10 gallons. It
needs faster recovery time to die-grind or use an air cutter. It
works on a sand blaster, but it is slow going.

-snip-
Brad nailers- * *again, for $10, it is sometimes easier to have 2
lying *on the bench with different size nails.

I got an Arrow elecric brad nailer as gift. Convenient, and not bad
for getting the brads started, but 90% of the time you have to follow
up with a tack hammer to set the heads. Maybe I oughta pick up HF $10
nailer to see the difference.

I think I've got the same stapler- but labeled 'Stanley'. I love
the little brad nailers HF sells- not as pleased with their
stapler/nailer.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:18:55 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

One cool thing you can get for the angle grinders (though I haven't seen
them at HF) is structured carbide carving wheels, there is also a
version that uses a short section of chain saw chain around a wheel.
Carve your self a totem pole or something with one.

I haven't seen them in the store- but the one online is actually one
of the name-brand tools-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7697
Lancelot 4" disc- $35 at HF - $45 from the manufacturer.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
My whine of the year on the subject- I needed to buy a hoe. A simple
freaking HOE. I looked six different places, and could not find one that
wasn't made in China. This country can't even produce blacksmith-level
items any more? Sad, just sad.

Flea markets and estate sales are the best place to get replacement
garden tools- unless you can afford LeeValley.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/index.aspx?c=1

I've got a great collection of hoes and shovels that have already
survived one gardener and are sure to outlast me. [and haven't paid
more than $10 for any of them]

Jim

Oh, I've bought a few garden tools at garage/yard/estate sales. But
almost always, the tools at these sales spent most of their time
outside, and thus the wood handles are all nasty and prone to breakage.
My mother and grandmother were real bad that way. After replacing their
shovels for the Nth time (since I was always tapped to do the digging
each spring). I said the hell with it and sprung for fiberglass handles
that would survive being left out in the rain. Working construction as a
kid, my father always beat into me that you hose off the shovels and
picks and rakes and such at the end of the day, wipe off the wood parts,
and put them away someplace out of the rain and sun.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In all seriousness. Might I buy one of these, and use on my angle grinder?

I'm quite new to the "biscuit joiner" concept.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

--

That is essentially what he biscuit joiners are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That could be totally useful for small limbs. I've always used loppers (hand
power) or sawzall.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus