CC

Default Harbor Freight Turning Tools

I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may be
worth it.
I have also posted to rec.woodworking
Thanks
CC

Those are the GOOD tools, but they are only 29.99 at the store. With
gas at it's current price, it's probably better to have them shipped.

Just MHO,

Ths Other Bruce

Joseph Adamson

As long as you are not in a hurry sometimes their shipping is kinda slow
(everything comes from the West Coast).
but the tools themselves are pretty decient they hold an edge pretty well
and have decient construction. If you are new to turning and more
importantly sharpening you will most likely make some mistakes in the
sharpening department. It won't hurt as much if you inadvertantly ruin a
tool that effectively cost 5-6 dollars) the next step up in tools will run
you like 250.00 for the same configurations

"CC" lamp dot wrote in message
I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be
enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too
bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may
be
worth it.
I have also posted to rec.woodworking
Thanks
CC

Dave in Fairfax

CC wrote:
I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may be
worth it.
I have also posted to rec.woodworking

The $30 and $40 sets are OK, but I wouldn't bother with the cheapy
unless you're planning on making special tools out of them and jsut want
metal with handles. Won't be good metal either. IN the future you
might want to check out news:rec.crafts.woodturning

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
CC

Thanks for the information. I ordered a set of the tools online from HF. The
couple dollars more is worth not fighting the traffic and gas expense
Looking forward to them arriving.
CC

wrote in message
oups.com...
Those are the GOOD tools, but they are only 29.99 at the store. With
gas at it's current price, it's probably better to have them shipped.

Just MHO,

Ths Other Bruce

Ken Moon

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message

SNIP.......
The $30 and $40 sets are OK, but I wouldn't bother with the cheapy
unless you're planning on making special tools out of them and jsut want
metal with handles. Won't be good metal either. IN the future you
might want to check out news:rec.crafts.woodturning

==================
Dave,
The set he asked about are M2 steel. Their cheapo carbon steel set is around
$10.00. That's what he should use to practice sharpening on. :-)

Ken Moon
Webbervile, TX.

I have all the regulars; Sorby, Taylor, Crown, even about three Ashley
Isles tools. Like many, I have a ton of chisels now (about 60...
ouch!), but only actually use a few.

I got a set of these to try out as I was going to suggest some tools to
some of the other turners in our club. I figured I could sell them on
EBAY or to one of the other guys when I was finished with them. But I
actually like them well enough not to sell them. I have polished off
any signs of the manufacturer on the chisels including where they were
made, and lent them to others in my club. NOT ONE person could guess
where they came from or where they were made.

The steel is great, the tools were put together well, and the handles
were good hard wood. They came in a pine box to carry them in and even
came with a little stone to touch them up between grinds.

These are good tools and I think an excellent buy for the money.

Robert

Derek Hartzell

I have good English and Australian tools for my main tools, but I love the
cheap HF carbon steel set which I got on sale for $4.99. I ground three
with special scraper grinds that I use for specific short durationl jobs.
With the others unused, that's $1.66/tool. Rather hard to beat for a
special application.

Derek

Dave in Fairfax

Ken Moon wrote:
Dave,
The set he asked about are M2 steel. Their cheapo carbon steel set is around
$10.00. That's what he should use to practice sharpening on. :-)

I agree, in general. Their M2s are usable tools, but not so expensive
that grinding them away hurts terribly. what I was trying to say was
that he should stay away from the carbons except to use as special
tools, just like Derek says a bit later in this thread. For *THAT* the
carbons are great. Who cares if they only last a short time before they
need sharpening and get ground away or break off at the handle from
bending.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
mac davis

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:20:58 GMT, "CC" lamp dot wrote:

I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may be
worth it.
I have also posted to rec.woodworking
Thanks
CC

Like anything else, you get what you pay for... I have both HF sets, and I think
that the set you're getting is a very good value...
OTOH, I also have their cheap set, along with their cheap bowl turning set, and
for the $10 a set that I paid for them they are great to have... especially if
you're into learning or experimenting with different grinding and sharpening
systems..
It's a real luxury to be able to try a swept, thumbnail, etc. grind on an extra
chisel that you didn't spend much money on..

Also, you might want to go back to the HF web site and click on the box for
"mail me ads" or whatever it says...
I never buy anything at HF unless it's on sale, and if you get the flyers in the
mail, you can not only get the web sale prices, but if it's cheaper in the flyer
than the web, you just order by the stock number in the flyer to get that
price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:24:47 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Ken Moon wrote:
Dave,
The set he asked about are M2 steel. Their cheapo carbon steel set is around
$10.00. That's what he should use to practice sharpening on. :-)

I agree, in general. Their M2s are usable tools, but not so expensive
that grinding them away hurts terribly. what I was trying to say was
that he should stay away from the carbons except to use as special
tools, just like Derek says a bit later in this thread. For *THAT* the
carbons are great. Who cares if they only last a short time before they
need sharpening and get ground away or break off at the handle from
bending.

Dave in Fairfax

Also, I find that sometimes when I am in the middle of a turning and really
don't want to stop to sharpen the chisel, I can grab one of the HF chisels and
finish what I was doing, then sharpen both..

I still haven't found an affordable small skew that I like as much as the one in
the HF mini bowl set.. (the bowl gouge sucks and the parting tool bends in the
wind, but the skew was worth at least the $10 I paid for the set)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
CC

Thanks again for all the information. The lathe came with a set of tools
from Homier and they are pretty much junk just looking at them
I wanted to start with something that would at least work for a while and
from what everyone says about the HF tools will be a good value for the
money. I am not even sure if the Homier tools would be worth practicing
sharpening on LOL
CC