mac davis

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:20:58 GMT, "CC" lamp dot wrote:

I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may be
worth it.
I have also posted to rec.woodworking
Thanks
CC

Like anything else, you get what you pay for... I have both HF sets, and I think
that the set you're getting is a very good value...
OTOH, I also have their cheap set, along with their cheap bowl turning set, and
for the $10 a set that I paid for them they are great to have... especially if
you're into learning or experimenting with different grinding and sharpening
systems..
It's a real luxury to be able to try a swept, thumbnail, etc. grind on an extra
chisel that you didn't spend much money on..

Also, you might want to go back to the HF web site and click on the box for
"mail me ads" or whatever it says...
I never buy anything at HF unless it's on sale, and if you get the flyers in the
mail, you can not only get the web sale prices, but if it's cheaper in the flyer
than the web, you just order by the stock number in the flyer to get that
price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing