mac davis

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:24:47 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Ken Moon wrote:
Dave,
The set he asked about are M2 steel. Their cheapo carbon steel set is around
$10.00. That's what he should use to practice sharpening on. :-)

I agree, in general. Their M2s are usable tools, but not so expensive
that grinding them away hurts terribly. what I was trying to say was
that he should stay away from the carbons except to use as special
tools, just like Derek says a bit later in this thread. For *THAT* the
carbons are great. Who cares if they only last a short time before they
need sharpening and get ground away or break off at the handle from
bending.

Dave in Fairfax

Also, I find that sometimes when I am in the middle of a turning and really
don't want to stop to sharpen the chisel, I can grab one of the HF chisels and
finish what I was doing, then sharpen both..

I still haven't found an affordable small skew that I like as much as the one in
the HF mini bowl set.. (the bowl gouge sucks and the parting tool bends in the
wind, but the skew was worth at least the $10 I paid for the set)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing