Stephen M

Default Turning tool tuning tools

Turning tool tuning tools

Yeah, I think I said that right. 10 times now... quickly!

Soon, I will start in on a stairway restoration in my house. The existing
spindles are painted and may are beat up pretty badly (1860 vintage). The
newels and the rail are pretty cool, so I am going to save those. The wife
would like natural wood, so I will be remaking all the spindles.

The plan is to fume white oak for a rich dark color.... Am I asking for
trouble trying to turn Oak?

I have not done a lot of turning, but I have found that my POS crapsman
lathe has performed surprisingly well for my prior spindle turning projects.

I have never really solved the problem of sharpening turning tools. Not
that I am facing 60 spindles, I think I have to address that issue. Turning
is NOT the focus of my hobby, so I can't see speding most of my annual tool
budget on a fully decked out Tormek.

For chisels and plane irons, I'm happy with scary sharp for the major
sharpenings and a water stone for freehand touch-ups inbetween. It is my
understanding that a micro-bevel is a no-no for turning tools, so sume sort
of jig is required.

Is there a fixture/system out there for $200 that will do a decent job?

The LV Kelton looks interesting

Any comments? It almost looks like a facimile could be built, except for the
"multi-grind" and is that really necessary.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=2&S ID=

Thanks,

Steve

MHaseltine

The Wolverine System by Oneway is used by a lot of turners. The basic system
sells for $80-$90 US and you can add a skew and gouge jig for another $70 - $80
or maybe a little less. The gouge jig can be set to give you a fingernail
profile which can help when turning beads or hollowing vessels. The system
uses your 6 or 8 innch grinder (Oneway recommends an 8-inch grinder). The
system can be purchased through Woodcraft, Craft Supplies, as well as other
woodworking speciality stores.

For more sharpening info, ckeck out the wood turners news group at
rec.crafts.woodturning

luck Michael