CC

Default Harbor Freight Turning Tools

I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may be
worth it.
Thanks
CC

bridger

CC wrote:
I just bought a 1000MM 4 speed lathe at a garage sale, never been out of
package. I know it will not be something great, but maybe it will be enough
to see if I am interested in turning.
I have read before that the Harbor Freight turning tool sets are not too bad
to begin with.

Are the sets from their online site the same as what is available in the
stores? or is the set in the store different?
It's an 80 mile trip to the closest HF store and if I can get the same on
line I would rather do that. If they are not the same, then the trip may be
worth it.
Thanks
CC

that is a great beginner set. the mail order set and the in-store set
are the same. they're cheap enough that you can get an extra set or two
and experiment with different grinds and such.

have fun....

CC

Thanks for the information. I just ordered a set of the tools on line from
HF.
If I find I want to get more into turning, I will invest in a better lathe
and tools. But looks like it will be a good starter (learner) set to begin
with
CC

"bridger" wrote in message
ups.com...

CC wrote:
[...]

bf

In general, they are ok. But be careful. They are not top quality. I
had one of the scrapers catch on me, and the blade snapped off at the
handle and cut me. Definitely wear face protection when using these.

Really, if you want my advice, I'd go to a store like Woodcraft and buy
a reasonably priced guage and learn how to use that. You can do a lot
with only a guage. Later, you can buy a skew or a scraper.

You can buy a decent gauge for about the price of the HF starter kit if
I recall (around $50).. and then you can keep it forever. And you don't
have to worry about the poor quality tools snapping on you while you
turn.

CC

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
In general, they are ok. But be careful. They are not top quality. I
had one of the scrapers catch on me, and the blade snapped off at the
handle and cut me. Definitely wear face protection when using these.

Really, if you want my advice, I'd go to a store like Woodcraft and buy
a reasonably priced guage and learn how to use that. You can do a lot
with only a guage. Later, you can buy a skew or a scraper.

You can buy a decent gauge for about the price of the HF starter kit if
I recall (around $50).. and then you can keep it forever. And you don't
have to worry about the poor quality tools snapping on you while you
turn.

Thanks bf,
I will look there too. There is a Woodcraft store a little further away than
the HF store. I will get over there
and look at their tools. I also ordered a face shield at the same time as
the turning tools. I felt that would be
a must item when turning.
CC

My understanding is that the turning chisels made under
the Buck Brother's name are NOT made by the same people
who make the crappy Buch Brothers planes.

Moreover, they are good quality and available at Home Despot.

--

FF