Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Dobony Michael Dobony is offline

Default Harbor Freight Tools

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:34:07 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

Their lineup ranges from high quality items at amazingly low prices to
absolute junk that they should pay you to take. Given that range, it is
pretty much critical to either have a HF store where you can inspect an
item in person, or reliable reviews to the specific item. It also helps
to have a very good understanding of a given tool and where potential
weaknesses would be found.

Items like hammers and the like are pretty safe bets. Many of the air
tools are decent if a bit high on air consumption. The digital calipers
and the micrometer set are exceptional deals.

Fine for occasional use by the hobbyist, but not for a machinist. As a
machinist I want Starret, Mitutoyo, high end SPI, etc., basically just
about anything German, Swiss, Japanese, or American, with rare exceptions.
OTOH, I did buy a dial indicator, mount, and a few other oddball items from
HF to have in case I needed them. Never used them much so didn't upgrade
to the real stuff. I ended up using the dial indicator 2-3 times in a year
and never for anything critical. If I were to have a real need for them I
would have bought a real dial indicator. Their vernier caliper needed to
be replaced after only a month of use due to soft "hardened" steel. I
bought a cheap $7 off brand from MCS Industrial supply and it lasted over a
year and is still in great condition.