Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Harbor Freight Tools

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
My whine of the year on the subject- I needed to buy a hoe. A simple
freaking HOE. I looked six different places, and could not find one that
wasn't made in China. This country can't even produce blacksmith-level
items any more? Sad, just sad.

Flea markets and estate sales are the best place to get replacement
garden tools- unless you can afford LeeValley.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/index.aspx?c=1

I've got a great collection of hoes and shovels that have already
survived one gardener and are sure to outlast me. [and haven't paid
more than $10 for any of them]

Jim

Oh, I've bought a few garden tools at garage/yard/estate sales. But
almost always, the tools at these sales spent most of their time
outside, and thus the wood handles are all nasty and prone to breakage.
My mother and grandmother were real bad that way. After replacing their
shovels for the Nth time (since I was always tapped to do the digging
each spring). I said the hell with it and sprung for fiberglass handles
that would survive being left out in the rain. Working construction as a
kid, my father always beat into me that you hose off the shovels and
picks and rakes and such at the end of the day, wipe off the wood parts,
and put them away someplace out of the rain and sun.

--
aem sends...