Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight Tools

Bring your own shovel? Have them use their own shovel. Make a point of how a
well stored shovel lasts?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Oh, I've bought a few garden tools at garage/yard/estate sales. But
almost always, the tools at these sales spent most of their time
outside, and thus the wood handles are all nasty and prone to breakage.
My mother and grandmother were real bad that way. After replacing their
shovels for the Nth time (since I was always tapped to do the digging
each spring). I said the hell with it and sprung for fiberglass handles
that would survive being left out in the rain. Working construction as a
kid, my father always beat into me that you hose off the shovels and
picks and rakes and such at the end of the day, wipe off the wood parts,
and put them away someplace out of the rain and sun.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:18:55 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

One cool thing you can get for the angle grinders (though I haven't seen
them at HF) is structured carbide carving wheels, there is also a
version that uses a short section of chain saw chain around a wheel.
Carve your self a totem pole or something with one.

I haven't seen them in the store- but the one online is actually one
of the name-brand tools-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7697
Lancelot 4" disc- $35 at HF - $45 from the manufacturer.

Jim

Man...that thing looks dangerous!

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bring your own shovel? Have them use their own shovel. Make a point of how a
well stored shovel lasts?

Moot point at this point- Grandma is long gone, and my Mother is past
the gardening stage.

Hey, they fed me, etc. I was well paid for my work and the tools I left
there.

I guess that is one of the milestones of realizing your own mortality-
when a tool you bought new, wears out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 8:58*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
In all seriousness. Might I buy one of these, and use on my angle grinder?

* *http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47401

I'm quite new to the "biscuit joiner" concept.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Can you get wood saw blade for? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

--

That is essentially what he biscuit joiners are.

I certainly wouldn't use a biscuit joiner blade in an angle grinder.
Serious kickback comes to mind.

Stick with the blades made for a grinder, like the Lancelot chain
blade mentioned earlier or this one:

http://www.kwiktoolusa.com/c7badblade.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you get wood saw blade for angle grinder? That could be very useful.
Much of what you describe sounds more like sawzall.

One cool thing you can get for the angle grinders (though I haven't seen
them at HF) is structured carbide carving wheels, there is also a
version that uses a short section of chain saw chain around a wheel.
Carve your self a totem pole or something with one.

I haven't seen them in the store- but the one online is actually one
of the name-brand tools-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7697
Lancelot 4" disc- $35 at HF - $45 from the manufacturer.

Jim

Will this cut tree roots?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .

-snip-
I haven't seen them in the store- but the one online is actually one
of the name-brand tools-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7697
Lancelot 4" disc- $35 at HF - $45 from the manufacturer.

Jim

Will this cut tree roots?

It will- but it will also dull quickly when you hit a rock. My
go-to tool for tree roots is a special axe that I keep just for tree
roots. It's a little heavy for everyday use. I sharpen it on a
rough grinder at a steeper than normal angle. Beat the crap out of
it and don't shed a tear when a new chip shows up on the blade.

One of those C7-Bad Blades that DerbyDad posted might be a better
choice if you really want to use your grinder
http://www.kwiktoolusa.com/c7badblade.html
[says it will cut steel and iron, so it might be a little more
resistant to dulling than the lancelot blades.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 11:16*am, wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:40:40 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

wrote:
I have bought from them quite a few times during the life of my never
ending, ever expanding remodeling project.

My experience is their hand tools are really good, at least to a layman like
me, I like it, and I like their prices too.

However, their power tools are junk. *Prices are attractive, but you really
get what you pay for. *Much heavier than the competitive brands, bulkier and
not as functional.

What are your experience?

MC

How to shop at Harbor Freight 101.

Drive to their nearest store. *Park in their parking lot.
Open your wallet and take out all the money. *
Throw the money on the pavement, and set it on fire.
Watch it burn until it's entirely gone.
Start your car and drive home.

End of Harbor Freight 101 lessons.

--------

What you accomplished is this. *
1. You threw away your money, before entering the store which saved
your time.

2. You stopped at least a few cheap garbage imports from entering the
US borders.

3. You possibly prevented a severe accident when the tool broke and
injured you or someone else.

4. You helped the environment by preventing the garbage tools from
entering the landfill, as well as the manufacture of more of this
imported trash.

5. You helped a fellow American keep their employment.

---- Of course you could just stay away from Harbor Freight and spend
this same money on quality (US made) tools at the hardware store. You
wont get as many tools, but you'll get tools that are useful, and
last.

When I need a quality tool, I shop for quality tools. When I need a
cheap tool for a one or two use project, I head for Harbor Freight.
Thus far, I have always been happy with the quality of the tool I
obtained from Harbor Freight when considering the price. I only wish
I could say the same about many of the so called quality (US Produced)
tools.