Michael Dombrowski

Default Harbor Freight Tools

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike
Woodcrafter

"Michael Dombrowski" wrote in message
Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike

The HF 2HP Dust Extractor seems to be a favorite (when on sale) and their
wood lathe is liked by some (not all).
Then there are clamps etc for general handyman/DIY tasks.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 60 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction
- Milescraft SignCrafter

Dr. Deb

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike

Mike, essentially, do your homework. If a tool (caliper) costs $12.00 at
Woodcraft and the identical item is $3.99 at HF . . . . As for the power
tools. Most are okay for the hobbist, but stay away from the really cheap
stuff. The dustcollector works well, after you add a good filter bag (or
in my case two) and use a plastic garbage bag for the collection bag. As
it comes out of the box, it looks good, makes a lot of noise and does
nothing good (30 micron filter bag - you need 1 micron or less). The
cordless drills (18v) work well - they are not Dewalt quality, but you are
not paying Dewalt prices either.

Generally, use you head.

Deb
Michael Dombrowski

Dr. Deb wrote:
Michael Dombrowski wrote:

[...]

Yes, but there are many tools that have been regarded here for years as
worth the money and I'm just wondering if there is a list of them
somewhere. As you point out, the dust collector is one of those.

Thanks
Mike

mac davis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:04:32 -0500, Michael Dombrowski
wrote:

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike

nope.. you have to search the archives..

HINT: got a HF flyer today and 6" bar clamps are $1.99 again, other
sizes slightly more until you hit 40" for 5 or 6 bucks..

I stocked up last time and they're very good clamps, great at this
price..
Morris Dovey

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Yes, but there are many tools that have been regarded here for years as
worth the money and I'm just wondering if there is a list of them
somewhere. As you point out, the dust collector is one of those.

I've bought and been satisfied with HF's:

* Dust Collector
* 3/8" Corded VSR Drill
* 3/8" Rechargable 18v Drill
* 18ga Pneumatic Brad Nailer
* Pneumatic Pop Riviter
* Pneumatic Drill (works great for pocket holes!)
* Electric Cut Out Tool
* Hand Truck (converts into cart)
* Furniture Dollies
* Right Angle Grinder
* 36" Clamps
* 3/4" Pipe Clamps
* 4" and 6" C-Clamps
* Drill Press Vises (one small, one large)
* Air hose reel and several hoses
* Pneumatic couplings
* Small Pliers Set
* Punch Set
* 115-Bit TiN Drill Set (but /flimsy/ index!)
* Horizontal (metal cutting) Bandsaw
* Fold-Up Trailer (with 4x8 load area)

I've bought and not been happy with HF's:

* Pneumatic Body Saw (trouble starting)
* 10" Bench Disk Sander (disk wobbles, table damaged)
* Nut Driver Set (round sockets)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Glen

Michael Dombrowski wrote:
Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike

I have found their brad nailer (currently $19.99) to be well worth it.
I also bought their flush trim router (also $19.99) about a year back.
I figured what the hell, I'll spend $20 on beer on a Fri. night. If
it's a POS I'm not out much. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's
not a PC or a DW, but for the very few times that I need a flush trim
router it did what I needed it to do. If I used it regularly I would
probably want something sturdier, bu it fir my needs.

Glen
Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:04:32 -0500, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

The compressor auto drain kit for ten bux.

mac davis

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:30:59 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

[...]

I had the same problem with their body saw...
Gave it to my kid, who's a mechanic in the army and uses a compressor
with a much higher cfm than my HF compressor does... worked fine for
him..

mac davis

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:18:48 GMT, Glen wrote:

Michael Dombrowski wrote:
Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike

I have found their brad nailer (currently $19.99) to be well worth it.
I also bought their flush trim router (also $19.99) about a year back.
I figured what the hell, I'll spend $20 on beer on a Fri. night. If
it's a POS I'm not out much. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's
not a PC or a DW, but for the very few times that I need a flush trim
router it did what I needed it to do. If I used it regularly I would
probably want something sturdier, bu it fir my needs.

Glen

hey Glen.. tell me about that lil bugger..

I was going to order one online, to avoid having to take my router out
of the table for stuff like rounding edges on hardboard, etc..

I sort of backed out because the picture seems to show the rack &
pinion and gears made out of plastic... will it really adjust and hold
position?

In my experience, beware of anything with moving parts - inclouding the
brad nailer which started leaking after a couple of light uses.

Bob G.

wrote:

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

Thanks
Mike

Not that I know of....BUT I have several of their tools....Tools I use
once every 2 or 3 years etc....

I do own their cheap 6 inch digital caliper ....works for me... but I
am only use it to varify that lumber is planned to the same size...who
knows if it is accurate...?

Bob Griffiths
Sean Dinh

Mine melted the plastic collar, after 30 1/2" holes. It's still work, but lack
directional control. My replacement will have to have metallic collar.

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I have the $25 (on sale) 1/2" corded hammer drill (Chicago Electric, I
think). Needed it to attach stuff to my basement shop walls. Works fine.

Bill

Greg O

"Cox West" wrote in message

I was thinking of picking up a rubber mallet when I pass my local store
next. I can always epoxy the rubber back onto the handle when it comes
flying off.

Dave

Buy the molded dead blow hammmers instead. I have two of them from HF. One
for wooddorking, another for banging car parts togather or apart. Got an
orange one and a black one so I can tell them apart.
Greg

Greg O

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:04:32 -0500, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Is there a list anywhere of the Harbor Freight tools that are considered
good deals (digital calipers for $16, air nailer for $15, etc) ?

The compressor auto drain kit for ten bux.

--

I went through two compressor tank drain do-hickeys, then gave up and bought
one frm Grainger fo $50 that was easier to install, and it works too! On the

mac davis

On 9 Dec 2004 08:35:02 -0800, "
wrote:

In my experience, beware of anything with moving parts - inclouding the
brad nailer which started leaking after a couple of light uses.

I have 2 of the 18 gauge ones and they seem fine..