Default ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS

I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

Dave Balderstone

Don't buy a set. Buy the individual tools for your project, one at a
time.

djb

--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Woody

wrote in message
I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

If you are after a good beginners set that will handle a lot of different
tasks, then something like the Robert Sorby 67HS 6-piece set will be a good
starter set. It's not the cheapest set going around, but it is high quality
and has all the tools you need to get started with both bowl and spindle
projects (and many more). Basically, it includes a roughing gouge, bowl
gouge, spindle gouge, skew chisel, parting tool and a round scraper.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Woodworking Techniques & Projects
- Kreg Right Angle Clamp
- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw
- Dowelmax Doweling System
- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

Arch

Woody's suggested set seems a good idea to me. Unlike many sets of the
past, this one is good quality and selection. There are many rcw threads
without consensus, about buying sets up front vs choosing individual
tools as you go (all threads are available in rcw archives). Unless you
have a tool to try how do you know that you do or don't need it? You
will get conflicting opinions here. For many, buying tools from catalogs
or driving to a store is often just enough trouble so as to make do, and
thus never to know.
This set seems a reasonable way to find out with little risk of buying
useless tools, and if you do use them all, there will be a saving. Just
MHO, which changes wth the weather. Arch

Fortiter,

Ken Bullock

I use only four tools in my turning business, in which I make mostly bowls,
but also turn spinles and the like using the same tools.......

1/4 inch Bowl gouge
1/2 inch bowl gouge
1 inch scraper
1/4 inch parting tool....

BTW, These are the same tools I demonstrate how I use and sharpen in my Bowl
turning videos....

Good turning to you and have fun with it...... Ken...

--
Ken & Debbie Bullock (Woodturners)

Woodturning videos at:
http://www.oneofakindwoodturnings.com
SKP # 82323

wrote in message
I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

Arch

After reading Woody's review, I retract my humble opinion. The weather
changed. I didn't know an _oval skew was included. It is _not an
improvement over the traditional skew, and the person that perpetrated
this crime on unsuspecting novices ought to be strung up. Just my
mildly stated opinion. Arch

Fortiter,

Ghodges2

Just make sure you buy high speed steel. You might want to get a sharpening
jig for the bowl gouges before you grind them up trying to learn how to sharpen
them. Just trying to help. Glenn Hodges, Nashville, GA.
GB

Dave Balderstone's advice to buy good quality tools as you need them is
good. But, being a newcomer to turning, you probably have little idea
what tools are available and what they are for. I would recommend that
you get the cheapest set of six that you can find (ebay usually has
loads on offer), and play with them. You will soon get a better
understanding of what each of them can and can't do. THEN go and buy
the good quality ones as you need them.

The cheap set will be rubbish and will require constant sharpening
(you'll learn a lot about that too, but mistakes will not be costly).
You'll learn a lot using them but should be pleasantly surprised at what
you can accomplish with them. Finally, they will make you really
appreciate the good ones when you get them!
--
GB
Extract digit to email.

wrote in message
I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

David S Lawson

For a novice turner I would recommend a cheap set of HHS tools to learn
turning and sharpening. You will find out which tools you want to use
and how to sharpen them without the fear of ruining an expensive one.
Only then can you replace these tools with quality knowing what you are
doing and have more confidence you will not waste money.

I fear many of our esteemed experts here have forgotten what its like
to be a novice and will happily tell you to spend lots of money on
their favourite tools which you can then wreck by sharpening
incorrectly. I'm still on my cheap set so far, I still haven't got the
sharpening right yet.

My policy when buying tools for any specific job is to buy cheap, one
which will do the job you want it to do only. If it proves itself useful
for general use I will then pay for a quality version for long term use.
I've got lots of useless oddities which did their job and nothing else.

Dave Lawson

In message
"Ken Bullock" wrote:

I use only four tools in my turning business, in which I make mostly bowls,
but also turn spinles and the like using the same tools.......

1/4 inch Bowl gouge
1/2 inch bowl gouge
1 inch scraper
1/4 inch parting tool....

BTW, These are the same tools I demonstrate how I use and sharpen in my Bowl
turning videos....

Good turning to you and have fun with it...... Ken...

--
Ken & Debbie Bullock (Woodturners)

Woodturning videos at:
http://www.oneofakindwoodturnings.com
SKP # 82323

wrote in message
.. .
I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

Dave Balderstone

In article , GB
wrote:

Dave Balderstone's advice to buy good quality tools as you need them is
good. But, being a newcomer to turning, you probably have little idea
what tools are available and what they are for. I would recommend that
you get the cheapest set of six that you can find (ebay usually has
loads on offer), and play with them.

Fair point, GB. In fact I almost did that. s But rather than the
cheapest set I bought this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...y=1,330,43164&
ccurrency=1&SID=

I've since added another a roughing gouge, four bowl gouges, an oval
skew and a bedan one at a time depending on need and whim.

(Yeah, the oval skew was whim)...

djb

--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Alan McClure

Dave Mundt wrote:

Greetings and salutations.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:31:01 GMT, wrote:

I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

Well, I would recommend the "good" set that Harbor Freight
sells. They are decent quality steel, and are pretty inexpensive.
Here is a URL to them...
I am not sure if this is the same sort of set i bought last year,
but, I suspect it is...and, I am pretty happy with mine.
Not high end...but pretty decent.
Regards
Dave Mundt

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these tools.
I just happened to see them the last time I was at the Akron HF store.
There's another set in a similar box for $39.99 that has dark colored
handles that make them look like they were made for the Crown label.

At less than $5 apiece, if the high speed steel is any good at all, I'd be
interested just for the metal. They could be reground for special
projects.

ARM

Arch

Alan, I agree. That 1/2 in. parting tool might better be used for other
than parting. Arch

Fortiter,

PukeTarget

Dave,
Unfortunately, the words Harbor Freight
make most of us cringe. I have been using the Harbor Freight HSS turning tools
since they first started selling them. I purchased the set because I needed a
1/4 " spindle gouge. I thought what the heck do I have to lose? I was quite
pleased then and I am still using the tools. The steel is very good regardless
of the price. By purchasing the set I was able to buy a complete set of tools
for the price of a name brand gouge.

I discussed the steel quality with a friend who has been a tool maker for many
years. He agrees that the Chinese HSS is very good quality steel(but he does
it quietly).
Bill Sullivan
Fort Myers, FL
Arch

Yeah Bill, but you are turning those soft easy to turn NIP blanks. Just
kidding, I have that set.....and you make nice stuff. Arch

Fortiter,

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:21:22 -0400, Alan McClure
wrote:

Dave Mundt wrote:

[...]

Yea...I have the dark handled ones (but could not find them
on the website, which is why I put the pointer to this set). I have
had them for about a year now, and I have to say that I am still
pretty pleased with them. They are a TAD lighter and shorter than
more expensive tools, but, not all that much different. They take
a good edge, and keep it for quite a while. My turning experience
improved QUITE a bit when I got them. I would recommend them for
a starter/upgrade set any day.
They are not as good as my Sorby, for example, but, they
are pretty darned good.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Chris

Alan McClure wrote in message ...
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these tools.
I just happened to see them the last time I was at the Akron HF store.
There's another set in a similar box for $39.99 that has dark colored
handles that make them look like they were made for the Crown label.

At less than $5 apiece, if the high speed steel is any good at all, I'd be
interested just for the metal. They could be reground for special
projects.

ARM

I also have the dark colored set. The tool maker that is on the
handles is Windsor Design. The beauty of this set is the large skew
is pretty massive and can be reground into a nicely sized round or
flat scraper. I still use the 1/4" spindle gouge as my primary detail
gouge and have reground the skews (after buying better quality ones)
into scrapers of different shapes and sizes which have all worked out
well. Long story short, the $39.99 price tag is worth it, as I have
come out with 5 good tools I use very often that would have cost me
over $200. The tool steel is fairly decent and holds a burr and edge
quite well.

Chris
Alan McClure

Arch wrote:

Alan, I agree. That 1/2 in. parting tool might better be used for other
than parting. Arch

Fortiter,

Arch, you read my mind! that was exactly what I was going to do!
If you think like me all the time you're in deeeeeep trouble!
ARM -

Jim M

If any of you are in the market for a new skew, I'd highly recommend looking
at Alan Lacer's skew that he has Jerry Glaser manufacturing. He calls it the
Glaser Lacer (laser). It's a bit thicker than the skews you get from Sorby
or the other manufactures. On the side with the long point, the bar is flat
to keep the skew stable while cutting v-cuts and such. On the short point
side, the skew has a round edge, so the skew rolls easily to cut beads. I
bought one at the Pasadena symposium. It's a great skew.