Dave Mundt

Default ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS

Greetings and Salutations...

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:21:22 -0400, Alan McClure
wrote:

Dave Mundt wrote:

Greetings and salutations.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:31:01 GMT, wrote:

I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING

Well, I would recommend the "good" set that Harbor Freight
sells. They are decent quality steel, and are pretty inexpensive.
Here is a URL to them...
I am not sure if this is the same sort of set i bought last year,
but, I suspect it is...and, I am pretty happy with mine.
Not high end...but pretty decent.
Regards
Dave Mundt

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these tools.
I just happened to see them the last time I was at the Akron HF store.
There's another set in a similar box for $39.99 that has dark colored
handles that make them look like they were made for the Crown label.

At less than $5 apiece, if the high speed steel is any good at all, I'd be
interested just for the metal. They could be reground for special
projects.

ARM

Yea...I have the dark handled ones (but could not find them
on the website, which is why I put the pointer to this set). I have
had them for about a year now, and I have to say that I am still
pretty pleased with them. They are a TAD lighter and shorter than
more expensive tools, but, not all that much different. They take
a good edge, and keep it for quite a while. My turning experience
improved QUITE a bit when I got them. I would recommend them for
a starter/upgrade set any day.
They are not as good as my Sorby, for example, but, they
are pretty darned good.
Regards
Dave Mundt