Chris

Default ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS

Alan McClure wrote in message ...
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these tools.
I just happened to see them the last time I was at the Akron HF store.
There's another set in a similar box for $39.99 that has dark colored
handles that make them look like they were made for the Crown label.

At less than $5 apiece, if the high speed steel is any good at all, I'd be
interested just for the metal. They could be reground for special
projects.

ARM

I also have the dark colored set. The tool maker that is on the
handles is Windsor Design. The beauty of this set is the large skew
is pretty massive and can be reground into a nicely sized round or
flat scraper. I still use the 1/4" spindle gouge as my primary detail
gouge and have reground the skews (after buying better quality ones)
into scrapers of different shapes and sizes which have all worked out
well. Long story short, the $39.99 price tag is worth it, as I have
come out with 5 good tools I use very often that would have cost me
over $200. The tool steel is fairly decent and holds a burr and edge
quite well.

Chris