GB

Default ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS

Dave Balderstone's advice to buy good quality tools as you need them is
good. But, being a newcomer to turning, you probably have little idea
what tools are available and what they are for. I would recommend that
you get the cheapest set of six that you can find (ebay usually has
loads on offer), and play with them. You will soon get a better
understanding of what each of them can and can't do. THEN go and buy
the good quality ones as you need them.

The cheap set will be rubbish and will require constant sharpening
(you'll learn a lot about that too, but mistakes will not be costly).
You'll learn a lot using them but should be pleasantly surprised at what
you can accomplish with them. Finally, they will make you really
appreciate the good ones when you get them!
--
GB
Extract digit to email.

wrote in message
I need advice on what would be a good set of turning tools, you know
gouge, parting tools, ect. I want to do some bowl turning and I
understand that, those are different types and fairly expensive. Can I
use the bowl turning tools for regular turning? I don't think I can
afford two sets so any advice would be appreciated!
REMOVE "NOSPAM: FROM ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING