Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Harbor Freight Tools

On Nov 15, 8:08*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip tales of [mostly bad] HF tool reviews-

They sell lots of junk- which sometimes is 'good enough'. [air nailers
and angle grinders for $10 come to mind] *They also occasionally have
name brand stuff at 'junk' prices.

I also bought an air compressor similiar to this - *does that count as
a power tool?

It seems to work fine, but the capacity is just about useless, at
least for what I use it for.

The capacity is pretty evident. *2 gallons is 2 gallons whether you
buy at HF $80 or Amazon for $369
[http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RAX6]

I can't even blow the dust out of a
single computer or off of a project without recharging the tank 2 or 3
times, at about 10 minutes per charge.

Note the HF blurb says it is good for air-brushing, inflating, and
brad nailing. * Cleaning stuff with a blowgun takes a lot of air. *

And something I didn't know until I bought the unit. Now I know why
some people have those huge tanks in the cornor of the garages. :-)

I did blow up - and I mean
*blow up*! - a basketball with it the other day. My daughter is not
happy, It was her best outdoor basketball. I guess we'll be going to
Dick's this weekend.

You aren't implying that a better compressor would have saved the
basketball are you?

Nope...that was nothing more than a tale of woe.

As far as gloves (work and vinyl), wire brushes, tarps and other throw-
away items, their prices are the best, especially if you can catch one
of their deeply discounted sidewalk sales.

My 'best deal' is their $2 rubber knee pads. * *I paid $20 for a pair
from sears a few years ago. * Now I have 4 prs lying around. *My old
knees need the pampering and my jeans seem to last longer, too.

angle grinders--- * I keep my good one [Hitachi?] with a metal cutting
disk. *But for $10, it is easier to have one standing by with a
grinding disk in it already.

Brad nailers- * *again, for $10, it is sometimes easier to have 2
lying *on the bench with different size nails.

I got an Arrow elecric brad nailer as gift. Convenient, and not bad
for getting the brads started, but 90% of the time you have to follow
up with a tack hammer to set the heads. Maybe I oughta pick up HF $10
nailer to see the difference.

I count myself as very fortunate to have a HF store nearby. * I
wouldn't order from their catalog because their shipping is high- and
you can't look at anything before you buy. *

Same for me.

Jim