Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IDT wants to charge me a dollar to send me a bill

I asked for a hard copy bill, only because it is a pain in the ass to
have to log on to the utility company's web site to check my bill.

I would love it if they just sent the statement in an email, but they
don't do it that way. I have to set up a username and password.

I pay the bill using direct draft so the only reason I want to see my
statement is to check the call log. I then just throw the statement
away.

We are talking about a phone bill not a CIA secret document.

Just sending an email should be enough security just to view the bill.

I told them I was not going to pay for them to send me a bill. They
could just cancel my service. They waived the charge, but ignored my
suggestion just to email it to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 5, 10:40*am, Terry wrote:
I asked for a hard copy bill, only because it is a pain in the ass to
have to log on to the utility company's web site to check my bill.

I would love it if they just sent the statement in an email, but they
don't do it that way. *I have to set up a username and password.

I pay the *bill using direct draft so the only reason I want to see my
statement is to check the call log. *I then just throw the statement
away.

We are talking about a phone bill not a CIA secret document.

Just sending an email should be enough security just to view the bill.

I told them I was not going to pay for them to send me a bill. *They
could just cancel my service. *They waived the charge, but ignored my
suggestion just to email it to me.

Yhe name of the company is IDioT? What do they peddle so I can avoid
them, too. G

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:41:06 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Feb 5, 10:40*am, Terry wrote:
[...]

I left that out. They are a long distance phone service. A while
back they wanted me to pay 4 bucks just for the service. I complained
and they waved that charge too.

I would love to get my statements by email, but I am not interested in
having to log into a web page just to view my statement.

Email is secure enough for a utility bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 10:40*am, Terry wrote:
[...]

So I imagine you chose this company because they were some fraction of a
penny less than the next company. And you expect, even demand, the same
level of service you'd get from the real phone company. It's probably
just some guy in his paneled basement rec room at night.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:40:02 -0500, Terry
wrote:

I asked for a hard copy bill, only because it is a pain in the ass to
have to log on to the utility company's web site to check my bill.

I would love it if they just sent the statement in an email, but they
don't do it that way. I have to set up a username and password.

My gas and electric company won't send email bills.

The gas/electric company just emails me to say to go to their website.
I think someone gave them the strange idea that I would be embarrassed
if someone read my email and found out I use gas and electricity.

I pay the bill using direct draft so the only reason I want to see my
statement is to check the call log. I then just throw the statement
away.

We are talking about a phone bill not a CIA secret document.

I'd like to know the reason myself.

Just sending an email should be enough security just to view the bill.

I told them I was not going to pay for them to send me a bill. They
could just cancel my service. They waived the charge, but ignored my
suggestion just to email it to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The utility companies will send you an email telling you that your new
bill is ready to view online, but wont just send you an email of the
bill.

However, if you forget your password information the same group of
geniuses will send your username and password to your email address.

I think the most likely answer is that emailing your bill would be
more work for the IT department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
Joe

I left that out. They are a long distance phone service. A while
back they wanted me to pay 4 bucks just for the service. I complained
and they waved that charge too.

Blow 'em off. We use Vonage (other services are available) and have two VoIP
lines. For 19.95/month we get:

Another telephone number,
All the goodies (voice-mail, caller-id, call-waiting, forwarding,
yak-yak-yak)
All the long-distance to most anywhere that we can eat.

$19.95 per month. Period. No 911 fee, no fuel-surcharge, no universal access
fee, no Al Gore tax, no sales tax. Zip.

For our company, we diligently sought the cheapest long-distance rates. In
spite of that, our LD bill was over $200/month. All that went away with
VoIP.

Here's a suggestion: Visit Best Buy, Sams, or the Vonage web site and pick
up their kit - $19.95. Try the thing for a month. If you don't like it,
cancel. It's a $20 gamble, but if it DOES work, you can tell your current
provider to wrap their lips around a tailpipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Terry wrote:
Joe

I left that out. They are a long distance phone service. A while
back they wanted me to pay 4 bucks just for the service. I complained
and they waved that charge too.

Blow 'em off. We use Vonage (other services are available) and have two VoIP
lines. For 19.95/month we get:

Today's dumb question. Can you link Vonage in through your existing
phone jacks? I would like to be able to just keep the phones where they
are.
Also, I do some away from home consulting for up to a couple months
at a time. Can I bring Vonage along, use my laptop, and still be able to
use another phone (I am a writer and sometimes need to be able to record
the conversations and this is easier for me to do using a cordless phone
and a Radio Shack phone recording control)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Terry wrote:
assword to your email address.

I think the most likely answer is that emailing your bill would be
more work for the IT department.

Probably more work for accouting to pay for the postage, paper, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:00:54 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

I left that out. They are a long distance phone service. A while
back they wanted me to pay 4 bucks just for the service. I complained
and they waved that charge too.

Blow 'em off. We use Vonage (other services are available) and have two VoIP
lines. For 19.95/month we get:

My long distance charges are less than 5 bucks per month.

I have a friend that just went to VoIP and he doesn't like it. I am
not ready to give it a try yet.

My Internet has weekly downtime.

My health is not the greatest. I don't foresee a 911 call in the near
future, but I would like to be able to make one if I need to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Terry wrote:

My health is not the greatest. I don't foresee a 911 call in the near
future, but I would like to be able to make one if I need to.

You can make the 911 calls. You just have to remember to tell the
program what your address is and then it contacts the correct emergency
center. Everybody was hyperventilating over what happens if someone is
using VOIP from (say) a hotel room and forgot to change the preferences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:13:54 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Terry wrote:
assword to your email address.

I think the most likely answer is that emailing your bill would be
more work for the IT department.

Probably more work for accouting to pay for the postage, paper, etc.

That was my point.

They want to charge me for a paper bill so I will use the online bill
pay. I don't need to use the online bill pay. I have been using
direct draft for many years now.

The most convenient way for me to get the bill is email. I don't want
to have to log in with a username/password to their web page each
month. Although, now that I am using Firefox, it might not be as much
of a problem because Firefox remembers your log in information. (I
don't know what mine is yet)

Just send me an email statement and we can both be happy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about this one? http://magicjack.com/site/index.html

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
[...]

That little gadget looks pretty interesting. My long distance runs
around 3 bucks a month so I don't need it, but for anyone that does do
long distance it would be a low risk gamble.

You could get one of those phones that need one phone line and come
with 3 extensions and use it from 4 places in the house without any re
wiring.

No incoming number I guess though?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
[...]

I have one of those cordless phones. It came with 3 handsets, but can
be expanded to as many as 10 (I don't need THAT many).

No incoming number I guess though?

I think you do get an incoming number with that device. Like any VoIP,
you get to choose among many area codes.

I'm considering trying the thing. The Amount they're changing is a lot
less than the $65/month the local phone company changes for unlimited
long distance (that's $45 plus all the fees).