Electronics (alt.electronics)

Minty

Default standard charge or quick charge for nicads?

I have a charger with standard and quick charge features for my 7.2v model
car battery pack. Which charging method is better for the life of the
battery pack, standard charge at 10-12 hours or quick charge at 4-5 hours? I
charge the pack mostly on standard charge with occassional quick charge. My
1800mAH battery pack is still in good condition after 3 years. I seemed to
have read somewhere nicads need to be quick charged from time to time for
whatever reason.

Rob Judd

You have it right. The only other thing to do to ensure they last is to
occasionally discharge them completely before a slow charge. This tends
to cancel out the "memory effect" which makes their charge shallow.

A resistor across them with a LED in series is usually sufficient.

Rob

Minty wrote:

I have a charger with standard and quick charge features for my 7.2v model
car battery pack. Which charging method is better for the life of the
battery pack, standard charge at 10-12 hours or quick charge at 4-5 hours? I
charge the pack mostly on standard charge with occassional quick charge. My
1800mAH battery pack is still in good condition after 3 years. I seemed to
have read somewhere nicads need to be quick charged from time to time for
whatever reason.

happyhobit

Hi Minty,

The theory is that fast charging batteries conditions batteries for fast
discharge. Also a 4 or 5 hour charge is not fast. A one hour or less charge
is fast.

For an 1800 mah cell. (NOTE: Efficiency isn't 100% so add more time or more
current. 20% to 40%)

Slow charge rate C/10 180ma for 10 hours (12 to 14 hours)

Quick charge rate C/3 600 ma for 3 hours (3.5 hrs Watch the
battery temp.)

Fast charge rate 3C 5400 ma for 20 minutes. (Should be only used
with a 'Peak Charger'.)

Jay