Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

This is going to be kind of hard to describe so bear with me. I'll
try
to post pics later.
I recently renovated my kitchen and I started to install the crown
molding on top of the cabinets.One
wall has wall cabinets and the last cabinet is a 45 degree cabinet
that ends with the wall . Past this wall is my DR and LR.
Here is the problem. the last 45 degree cabinet ends about 1" away
from the end of the wall. When I put up the crown, it sticks out
past
the wall. It looks good if standing in front of it in the DR, but
when
you look at it from the LR on the other side, all you see is this
piece of crown sticking out past the wall and it looks ugly. I
thought
about putting a return, but it would not look right on top of the
cabinet. I would basically have to cut the top molding about 3"
shorter then do a return and it would not look good. The only way it
looks good if I cut the end of the molding straight ( no 45 at the
wall). The molding does not stick out past the wall if I do this.
Obviously does not look as good as a return or a 45 , but this looks
like my only choice.
Anyone ever run into this before and how you dealt with it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
[...]

What about a 45 return of the crown only at the corner the length of
which is simply the depth back to the cabinet (I presume) it is mounted
on? All that would "stick out" would be that relatively small amount
over 1" of the width of the mould.

As you say, I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly the situation...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
[...]

I sort of know what you mean. Pictures would really help. Not just
close-ups, but also vantage points from which you'll normally view the
situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:36:22 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

[...]

Kind of tough without pics, but a few ideas:

Instead of a normal 90 degree return, how about a 45 degree return
that would die into the wall flush with the side wall (or 1/4 back)
This would require a compound miter. The return piece would be
triangle shaped. A variation of this would be to build a decorative
corner block with one 90 side for the crown to die into, and one 45
side to parallel the wall.

Or, carry the crown 6 or 12 inches around the corner and do a normal
return into the wall. To make this look right, you will have to build
out the top front edge of the 45 cabinet with a flat piece so it ends
up flush with the corner. Then the crown can continue around the
corner without a notch in it. Of course, this will mean recutting the
piece before the 45 since it will have to run longer to line up with
the extended cabinet front.

Or, return the crown at the end of the straight row of cabinets and
use a flat molding (or dentil) to trim the 45. The flat piece would
die into the return on the one end and the wall on the other end. I
think this might end up looking best, especially if there is another
area (perhaps over sink or hood) where you can echo the treatment so
it looks like a design element.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Appeciate the inputs. I'll try to post some pics when I get home from
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 9:27 am, Mikepier wrote:
Appeciate the inputs. I'll try to post some pics when I get home from
work.

Listen, this whole thing about putting work above the newsgroup has
gotta stop. Blow off work, go home and post some pictures. Have a
celebratory cocktail when you get home in honor of not bowing down to
the Man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is a situation where a picture is worth a thousand words. It
sounds like you want the molding belonging to the cabinets, rather
than to the room?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
[...]

How about a piece of 1X on the side of the cabinet that runs to the wall. The crown can
die into that. The end of the 1X can be cut at about the same angle the crown makes with
it (not a compound cut, leave the face square with the side of the 1X), but with a slight
margin, following the profile as best you can with a few straight cuts.

If you have a scroll saw, you can leave the 1X long, trace the outline of the crown onto
it at the intersection and cut. Not sure how that will look, though

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

than to the room? - Hide quoted text -

Yes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 11:07 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 15, 9:27 am, Mikepier wrote:

Appeciate the inputs. I'll try to post some pics when I get home from
work.

Listen, this whole thing about putting work above the newsgroup has
gotta stop. Blow off work, go home and post some pictures. Have a
celebratory cocktail when you get home in honor of not bowing down to
the Man.

Unfortunately in order to pay for this new kitchen I have to bow to
the man for now. But after I get home and post the pics, I'll have a
beer out of my new fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mikepier wrote:

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

How about building out that doorway a couple of inches?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:15:37 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Mikepier wrote:

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

How about building out that doorway a couple of inches?

Something like this would be easier; imo, but I don't see enough of
the crown end ( pic 3 of 7 ) to know if it would work.

http://www.compoundmiter.com/images/..._finished5.jpg

Post the final please..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 4:50 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I
understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not
want to see that piece sticking out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Who measured the cabinets before they were ordered?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:32:44 -0800, Oren wrote:

snip

http://www.compoundmiter.com/images/..._finished5.jpg

This is the way I ended my crown--wrapped around the corner. But this
would not look proper with the cabinets as the OP stated, the crown
belongs to the cabinets, not to the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/15/2007 4:41 PM Mikepier said the following:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

I had the exact same problem when I redid my kitchen, but I allowed for
the problem before I even installed the cabinets.
I have jambs and casement molding around all doorless openings. I
removed the jambs and casement molding from the opening, nailed a 2x4 to
the old stud to beef it out. Then re-installed the old jambs after
having shortened the top jamb to fit the new opening. I filled in the
gaps between the new right jamb and old 2x4 with pieces of sheetrock,
then re-installed the casement molding after shortening the top pieces.
In your case, you would have to remove the corner bead, beef it out,
then sheetrock the opening and re-install corner beads.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:41:49 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

As it is now, I see the bottom piece goes too far to the right.
Look at the glass panels of the 45-degree piece. Imagine this piece
to extend back, ignoring the walls for just a minute, as if you are
looking at a piece of furniture with 90-degree sides (such as a
crowned bookcase). With that in mind, trim back the bottom piece of
the crown molding support, just as if it rides on top of the right
side of the imaginary cabinet. Return the bottom piece to the wall.
In your case, this will be a very small piece which is glued in place.
Cut the top piece of the crown to return as well. I would not glue
the bottom piece until the top piece is properly fitted. This looks
like a very tricky fit, so you may need to do some fussing to get it
right (been there, done that!) The good part is that this is a small
piece and you can afford to make a couple mistakes. Do this
right--this molding is a very visible piece and likely to be there a
long time for everyone to see. Plus, we are all looking forward to
your posting the finished crown pictures. A close up would be nice
too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And no putty allowed! Heh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 22:58:37 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:32:44 -0800, Oren wrote:

snip

http://www.compoundmiter.com/images/..._finished5.jpg

This is the way I ended my crown--wrapped around the corner. But this
would not look proper with the cabinets as the OP stated, the crown
belongs to the cabinets, not to the room.

And the OP doesn't _want to see that piece sticking out_. I'm
interested in a final photo.

I was guessing to myself, maybe a compound inside corner return to the
first corner bead and not wrapped.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I see it now. Look at pic #2 - the short point is to the wall, not the
cabinet edge.

If the OP cut the short point back he can make an easier return to the
wall.

Waiting for final pics...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Move the entire wall of cabinets 4" to the left. More
planning next time.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,

I'd glue up a nice block of wood (with a decorative carving?) just next
to the cabinet at 'crown molding" height and end the crown molding against
the block with a straight cut. I'm not sure but I think that will mean a 45
deg. internal miter on the crown molding. Cut the molding slightly long and
then sand until you get a good fit.

Dave M.
"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 4:50 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I
understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not
want to see that piece sticking out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Mike,

I'd glue up a nice block of wood (with a decorative carving?) just next
to the cabinet at 'crown molding" height and end the crown molding against
the block with a straight cut. I'm not sure but I think that will mean a 45
deg. internal miter on the crown molding. Cut the molding slightly long and
then sand until you get a good fit.

Dave M.

Is his crown to long in photo 2? I mean the short point, extending
beyond the cabinet?

Phish is on target with the crown being to long.

The photo is tricky... until one looks (like me several times).

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 4:50 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I
understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not
want to see that piece sticking out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thats what i was thinking too. Cut the top and bottom pieces short of
the wall, then do a return on both. But I'm not sure how it will look
since the cabinet is going straight. But I'll cut some trial pieces
and see how it looks. I'll try to post pics on that as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 5:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Who measured the cabinets before they were ordered?

This was an oversight on my part. The cabinets fit, but I did not take
into account the crown on top. You live and learn
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 7:25 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Move the entire wall of cabinets 4" to the left. More
planning next time.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Genius, sheer genius.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 4:50 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I
understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not
want to see that piece sticking out.- Hide quoted text -

Oren, its hard to see in the pics, but the molding is going against
the wall, just like the cabinet. The end of the cabinet and the bottom
of the molding line up with each other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 4:50 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I
understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not
want to see that piece sticking out.- Hide quoted text -

Oren, its hard to see in the pics, but the molding is going against
the wall, just like the cabinet. The end of the cabinet and the bottom
of the molding line up with each other.

I really want to see how this works out, now. The pic 2 is deceptive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

In a similar circumstance I used 1 x 4 red oak to make a simulated
floor-to-ceiling post at the corner of the doorway (using the 1 x 4s on two
connecting sides so they had the appearance of a 4 x 4 post). . I then
added an 8" moulding around the bottom and top of the "post" using the same
type of wood (and used an ogee bit in the router to give this home-made
moulding some character) which made that part of the post stick out from the
wall further than did the crown molding. Then, I butted the crown molding
to the post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yep, that's what I'd do, too. It's all fine and dandy to talk about
reworking the doorless doorway and calculating the size and location
of your cabinets based on the crown molding, but that's putting the
cart before the horse. Having a nicely cut small return will look
just fine and is exactly what molding and trim is supposed to do in a
house - mask all the little imperfections and gaps and make it look
perfect.

BTW, what beer did you have when you got home? This is tough thinking
stuff, so none of that wussy beer. You need something thick and dark
that you can chew on while ruminating on woodworking solutions. It's
better brain food than fish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, that's what I'd do, too. It's all fine and dandy to talk about
reworking the doorless doorway and calculating the size and location
of your cabinets based on the crown molding, but that's putting the
cart before the horse. Having a nicely cut small return will look
just fine and is exactly what molding and trim is supposed to do in a
house - mask all the little imperfections and gaps and make it look
perfect.

BTW, what beer did you have when you got home? This is tough thinking
stuff, so none of that wussy beer. You need something thick and dark
that you can chew on while ruminating on woodworking solutions. It's
better brain food than fish.

R- Hide quoted text -

After all this discussing,planning & thinking, I need something a
little bit stronger than beer now
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Who measured the cabinets before they were ordered?

This was an oversight on my part. The cabinets fit, but I did not take
into account the crown on top. You live and learn

Does the Mrs. know about this situation yet? If you handle it right, you
could invent a reason for a new power tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 9:16 am, Mikepier wrote:
OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

There ya go! I think it looks far better that way than if it were
just straight and there was a long extension back to the wall. The
long straight extension looks like the crown molding wanted to keep
going as if it had a life of its own and wasn't married to the
cabinet. It _should_ be married to the cabinet, damn it! All of this
divorce and free living - it jist ain't right!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

If that doesn't get you AT LEAST a batch of cookies, call the Husband Union
local office immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 10:22 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

If that doesn't get you AT LEAST a batch of cookies, call the Husband Union
local office immediately.

Define 'cookie'. =:O

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

If that doesn't get you AT LEAST a batch of cookies, call the Husband Union
local office immediately.

After almost 40 someodd posts, I think that was the best solution for
the return. It looks pretty good.
On a sidenote, while I was cutting that return piece, the chip shield
on my Makita saw broke.(This after spending $70 for a new 14" blade).
I tried using it without the shield, but its impossible because not
only does the wood fly out into the air, the shield was actually part
of the fence, so you cant get a straight cut. Plus not to mention its
dangerous. The impact left a black and blue on my thumb. Luckiliy my
Bro-in-law has a saw, so I'll borrow his when I go to his house today
and watch the Jets get killed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Apparently, the power tool industry has managed to convince Lowe's & Home
Despot to stop selling real mitre boxes, except for cheap piece of crap
$13.00 toys from Stanely. But, for molding, a good mitre box is a real
pleasure to use. Slower than a power tool, but extremely precise, and the
cuts are very clean. If you're in the mood to buy yourself a nice gift, this
is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-6401.../dp/B00002244D