Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

Default Cutting Crown molding with 135 degree angle wall

Hi,
I am trying to butt a piece of Crown molding up against the wall at a
135 degree (inside) corner.

I am using the 'lay the molding flat and look up the tables' approach
to figure out where to cut. The moulding is rather large so I can't
stand it up and just slice 135 degrees.

Any suggestions as to what miter/bevel angles will give me a 135 degree
angle?
Is is even possible?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Steven wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to butt a piece of Crown molding up against the wall at a
135 degree (inside) corner.

I am using the 'lay the molding flat and look up the tables' approach
to figure out where to cut. The moulding is rather large so I can't
stand it up and just slice 135 degrees.

Any suggestions as to what miter/bevel angles will give me a 135 degree
angle?
Is is even possible?

Thanks

Here is a crown molding calculator:

http://www.construction-resource.com...wn-molding.php

A 135 degree inside corner should be the same as doing half of a 90
degree outside corner.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Steven wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to butt a piece of Crown molding up against the wall at a
135 degree (inside) corner.

I am using the 'lay the molding flat and look up the tables' approach
to figure out where to cut. The moulding is rather large so I can't
stand it up and just slice 135 degrees.

Any suggestions as to what miter/bevel angles will give me a 135 degree
angle?
Is is even possible?

Thanks

why not search the internet for crown molding. There are techniques
that involve carving out the mold shape that are simpler than precisely
matching the angle. Otherwise, there is a small hand device you can buy
that is used to precisely match angles and transfer them to your work.

Do you have a miter box or power saw or what?

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

Ken,
It looks like a great tool, but I'm a bit confused by the values
calculated.

For wall and spring of 90 degrees each and for moulding applications
using butts meeting coped edges, isn't a miter and bevel somewhere
around 32-33 degrees each?

This calcutor might be good if you're to miter your moulding for each
corner, but because walls are rarely square and coping is more
preferable in those instances, how can I apply this calculator for
projects to be coped?

TIA!!

Ken wrote:
Here is a crown molding calculator:

http://www.construction-resource.com...wn-molding.php

A 135 degree inside corner should be the same as doing half of a 90
degree outside corner.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

Thanks! That did the trick, I knew it couldn't be as hard as I was
making it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Jim Conway wrote:
Ken,
It looks like a great tool, but I'm a bit confused by the values
calculated.

For wall and spring of 90 degrees each and for moulding applications
using butts meeting coped edges, isn't a miter and bevel somewhere
around 32-33 degrees each?

This calcutor might be good if you're to miter your moulding for each
corner, but because walls are rarely square and coping is more
preferable in those instances, how can I apply this calculator for
projects to be coped?

TIA!!

For coping, you could still use the calculator. First cut the piece
that will be butted, then use the calculator to miter the other piece,
then cope it as usual. Of course make sure that you cope at an angle
that will work with whatever wall angle you have.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, The miter and blade tilt setting for any corner angle also depends on
the spring angle of the crown that you are installing. For example if you
have 38 deg spring angle crown then for a 135 degree corner the Miter =
14.3 degrees & Blade tilt = 17.6 degrees. You will cut your crown laying
flat and face up on the saw. For a 45 deg spring angle crown, Miter =
16.3, BT = 15.7. If you are trying to butt cut the crown into the 135
degree corner then for a 38 deg spring angle crown, Miter = 31.6, BT =
33.9. For 45 degree spring angle crown, Miter = 35.3, BT = 30.0 degrees.
All of this information is available at www.compoundmiter.com

Sincerely yours
Wayne Drake

Hi,
I am trying to butt a piece of up against the wall at a
135 degree (inside) corner.

I am using the 'lay the flat and look up the tables' approach
to figure out where to cut. The moulding is rather large so I can't
stand it up and just slice 135 degrees.

Any suggestions as to what miter/bevel angles will give me a 135 degree
angle?
Is is even possible?

Thanks

Do-It-Yourself Crown Molding & Trim: Install It Like A PRO!

Sincerely yours
Wayne Drake, President
CompoundMiter, Inc.