Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:19:50 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:41:49 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

As it is now, I see the bottom piece goes too far to the right.
Look at the glass panels of the 45-degree piece. Imagine this piece
to extend back, ignoring the walls for just a minute, as if you are
looking at a piece of furniture with 90-degree sides (such as a
crowned bookcase). With that in mind, trim back the bottom piece of
the crown molding support, just as if it rides on top of the right
side of the imaginary cabinet. Return the bottom piece to the wall.
In your case, this will be a very small piece which is glued in place.
Cut the top piece of the crown to return as well. I would not glue
the bottom piece until the top piece is properly fitted. This looks
like a very tricky fit, so you may need to do some fussing to get it
right (been there, done that!) The good part is that this is a small
piece and you can afford to make a couple mistakes. Do this
right--this molding is a very visible piece and likely to be there a
long time for everyone to see. Plus, we are all looking forward to
your posting the finished crown pictures. A close up would be nice
too!

I see it now. Look at pic #2 - the short point is to the wall, not the
cabinet edge.

If the OP cut the short point back he can make an easier return to the
wall.

Waiting for final pics...