Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

"Mikepier" wrote in message
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

In a similar circumstance I used 1 x 4 red oak to make a simulated
floor-to-ceiling post at the corner of the doorway (using the 1 x 4s on two
connecting sides so they had the appearance of a 4 x 4 post). . I then
added an 8" moulding around the bottom and top of the "post" using the same
type of wood (and used an ogee bit in the router to give this home-made
moulding some character) which made that part of the post stick out from the
wall further than did the crown molding. Then, I butted the crown molding
to the post.