Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

on 12/15/2007 4:41 PM Mikepier said the following:
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

I had the exact same problem when I redid my kitchen, but I allowed for
the problem before I even installed the cabinets.
I have jambs and casement molding around all doorless openings. I
removed the jambs and casement molding from the opening, nailed a 2x4 to
the old stud to beef it out. Then re-installed the old jambs after
having shortened the top jamb to fit the new opening. I filled in the
gaps between the new right jamb and old 2x4 with pieces of sheetrock,
then re-installed the casement molding after shortening the top pieces.
In your case, you would have to remove the corner bead, beef it out,
then sheetrock the opening and re-install corner beads.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY