Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

On Dec 16, 11:49 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Apparently, the power tool industry has managed to convince Lowe's & Home
Despot to stop selling real mitre boxes, except for cheap piece of crap
$13.00 toys from Stanely. But, for molding, a good mitre box is a real
pleasure to use. Slower than a power tool, but extremely precise, and the
cuts are very clean. If you're in the mood to buy yourself a nice gift, this
is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-6401.../dp/B00002244D

I don't have one of the Jorgensen's, but I always thought it was a
good unit, so I don't understand why it's gotten such horrible reviews
on Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 11:49 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Apparently, the power tool industry has managed to convince Lowe's & Home
Despot to stop selling real mitre boxes, except for cheap piece of crap
$13.00 toys from Stanely. But, for molding, a good mitre box is a real
pleasure to use. Slower than a power tool, but extremely precise, and the
cuts are very clean. If you're in the mood to buy yourself a nice gift,
this
is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-6401.../dp/B00002244D

I don't have one of the Jorgensen's, but I always thought it was a
good unit, so I don't understand why it's gotten such horrible reviews
on Amazon.

I don't either. Besides cutting molding, I've found it to be useful for all
sorts of projects involving small pieces of wood that I wouldn't be
comfortable cutting on a table saw (along with my fingers, which I'm sorta
fond of).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:41:47 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Dec 16, 10:22 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

If that doesn't get you AT LEAST a batch of cookies, call the Husband Union
local office immediately.

After almost 40 someodd posts, I think that was the best solution for
the return. It looks pretty good.

Looks good. What is the end view now, compared to photo 3? Better I
bet.

On a sidenote, while I was cutting that return piece, the chip shield
on my Makita saw broke.(This after spending $70 for a new 14" blade).
I tried using it without the shield, but its impossible because not
only does the wood fly out into the air, the shield was actually part
of the fence, so you cant get a straight cut. Plus not to mention its
dangerous. The impact left a black and blue on my thumb. Luckiliy my
Bro-in-law has a saw, so I'll borrow his when I go to his house today
and watch the Jets get killed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Until you need to take a 1/16 off of a 45 degree piece.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
OK here are the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Not what I had envisioned when I posted my reply, glad it turned out OK..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

In that case you should use a Lion miter trimmer. Dead accurate cuts
because you're doing a rough cut with another tool and using the Lion
to shave off to an exact line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Or a shooting board...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Righty-O! aka chuting board or chute board and plane. Stanley's #51
and #52:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan7.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Or use my power miter saw and have it done in less than a second.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK here are the latest pics(#9,10 &11) I finished and it looks good.
Thanks to everyone for the tips.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 11:47 pm, Mikepier wrote:
OK here are the latest pics(#9,10 &11) I finished and it looks good.
Thanks to everyone for the tips. http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

Nice job, Mike. Looks factory.