Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
. ..
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in
my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone.
Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him
the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something
but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone
know?

John

Although in my town, it's legal for a neighbor to cut overhanging branches,
I would be disproportionately ****ed off if a neighbor did that without
first having a conversation. Have you knocked on your neighbor's door and
asked for his/her opinion?

Also: Why do so many leaves fall on your side? Prevailing wind?

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Hi,
I did it after mentioning to neighbor. He did not seem to bother with
it. Was shading my gazebo real bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, "John"
wrote:

I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone.

You must be busy!

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to what I have heard on this group and my own knowledge.

You own everything from the fence up so you can trim all you want as long it
doesn't harm the tree or maybe make it look stupid. The leaves that fall on
your side are yours, if it was a fruit tree you would own the fruit.

Here's the bad part for you, you can't charge him for the trimming.

"John" wrote in message
. ..
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in
my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone.
Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him
the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something
but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone
know?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they
"belong" to you.

However, you cannot also charge him if you do not get written or verbal
consent from him. You are improving your own property, why should he have
to pay for it?

--
It's amazing what a man can accomplish when he's not worried about who will
get the credit.

10/20/2007 6:55:09 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:59:48 -0400, Rocinante
wrote:

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they
"belong" to you.

True. Just don't kill the tree next door.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Although in my town, it's legal for a neighbor to cut overhanging
branches, I would be disproportionately ****ed off if a neighbor did
that without first having a conversation. Have you knocked on your
neighbor's door and asked for his/her opinion?

Also: Why do so many leaves fall on your side? Prevailing wind?

I am not at this home many months of the year and the fall is the only time
when the leaves fall. I have had a kid take care of the lawn during the
summer but now is off season with nothing to cut. I did have the cleaning
done but now I am the one that is left as my usual helper is gone. I first
decided to drop off a note and keep a copy but after several left in his
mail box and several actually delivered by the US Mail I assume I am being
ignored. I only get ****ed when I am in the middle of raking and think of
dropping the leaves off on his front steps along with some dog crap just to
make my point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone.

You must be busy!

No, they are never gone. On a good day I could rake continually all day.
Like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cliff Hartle wrote:
According to what I have heard on this group and my own knowledge.

You own everything from the fence up so you can trim all you want as
long it doesn't harm the tree or maybe make it look stupid. The
leaves that fall on your side are yours, if it was a fruit tree you
would own the fruit.
Here's the bad part for you, you can't charge him for the trimming.

Oh they would look pretty bad trimmed. Take my word for it. Not to mention
the job it would be as they have really grown rather tall. I actually feel
sorry for the trees more than anything. Even if I did trim from the fence
straight up the leaves on his side would still end up blowing off and
landing on my lawn. They are actually beautiful trees this time of year. Now
that I think of it there really doesn't seem like there is anything that can
be done short of removing them entirely.

"John" wrote in message
. ..
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rocinante wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they
"belong" to you.

However, you cannot also charge him if you do not get written or
verbal consent from him. You are improving your own property, why
should he have to pay for it?

Because they are a nuisance and the cause of distribution of unwanted
litter. Just like a mud slide that caused dirt or anything else to end up on
my land. Just like a car rolling down a hill I can have it removed and
charge him for the tow. Why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Cliff Hartle wrote:
According to what I have heard on this group and my own knowledge.

You own everything from the fence up so you can trim all you want as
long it doesn't harm the tree or maybe make it look stupid. The
leaves that fall on your side are yours, if it was a fruit tree you
would own the fruit.
Here's the bad part for you, you can't charge him for the trimming.

Oh they would look pretty bad trimmed. Take my word for it. Not to mention
the job it would be as they have really grown rather tall. I actually feel
sorry for the trees more than anything. Even if I did trim from the fence
straight up the leaves on his side would still end up blowing off and
landing on my lawn. They are actually beautiful trees this time of year. Now
that I think of it there really doesn't seem like there is anything that can
be done short of removing them entirely.

Time to make peace with the beauty of fallen leaves, then. Your backyard
doesn't have to look like a putting green to be beautiful, tranquil,
inviting, wonderful, whatever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"John" wrote:

Cliff Hartle wrote:
[...]

I have been the only house on my street that has a littered lawn and
driveway. The cars get covered and when it rains they are very slippery.
They get tracked inside and are an all around nuisance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote

I have been the only house on my street that has a littered lawn and
driveway. The cars get covered and when it rains they are very slippery.
They get tracked inside and are an all around nuisance.

It must suck, to have leaves attack you. I wonder why nature just picks on
your property.

You better just haul all your neighbors in front of Judge Judy, and be done
with it.

It's a miracle, nobody has put you out of your misery yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

Get a grip, dude. They are LEAVES, not radioactive fallout. Don't your
leaves blow into the downwind neighbor's yard? Do you go collect them? I
get a big dose of leaves (and branches) from my upwind neighbors tree
just over the lot line, and his tree screws up my satt signal as well.
Guess what- that is part of living in a subdivision. At least his dog is
mostly quiet.

The only cure to 'neighbor leaves' is to have a lot big enough that it
isn't an issue, because your own stand of trees catches them all.

Let the leaves set until the tree is bare, and just clear them all at
once. The yard will be fine.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:55 pm, "John" wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

One man's litter is another man's soil amendment. Tree roots
scavenge nutrients from deep in the soil. These nutrients
are made available when the leaves fall. Placing them in
bags by the curb for pickup is wasteful. Better to sprinkle a
few gallons of water into the bags, then stack them up
out of the way to decompose into lovely, sweet earthy-smelling
mulch for use in your garden next spring.

If you're going to trim the branches, go ahead, but know
what you're doing, for the sake of your property's appearance
and the health of the trees. Use the three cut method to
keep the branches from tearing off -- on YOUR side of
the trunks. First cut from underneath, about six inches out,
halfway through. Second cut from top, about eight inches
out to remove the bulk of the limb. Third cut is flush to the
growth collar to allow the tree to form a scar which will close
up over the next few years. Do not paint the wound. Leave it
open to weep and clean itself out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry wrote:
"John" wrote

I have been the only house on my street that has a littered lawn and
driveway. The cars get covered and when it rains they are very
slippery. They get tracked inside and are an all around nuisance.

It must suck, to have leaves attack you. I wonder why nature just
picks on your property.

You better just haul all your neighbors in front of Judge Judy, and
be done with it.

It's a miracle, nobody has put you out of your misery yet.

There are six trees and I have been removing these leaves for many years. It
is finally getting to be a bit much. When your tires spin when they get wet
because the driveway is covered and you have to be careful when you walk so
you don't slip and your cars get covered with stains it is time to have
something done. Maybe if you had a house and not a tin can in a trailer park
you might have a clue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
John wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

Get a clue 'DUDE.' There are no leaves blowing from my yard onto anyone
else's property. I do not have trees planted close enough to any neighbors
land. The guy doesn't even mow his lawn and the place looks like a slum.
Maybe if you didn't have your head up your ass you might imagine others have
the same problems with this 'DUDE' in that run down barn he lives in. Try
not to use that imagination and assume anything you are not told and you
might not have so much trouble processing thoughts properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

I don't know. Do you want to know what the weather is expected to be
like HERE tomorrow? It's the same about property law.

It all depends on where you live. Go down to city hall and ask. I
could tell you what we do here, and what I would do, but that might
not plug into your equation and where YOU are. It might buy you a
boatload of trouble where you are.

Steve

I thought someone might have had the same problem so I posed this question.
I see it is a bit much for some to handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Father Haskell wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:55 pm, "John" wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

I will be hiring someone to do the work and was hoping someone on this
group had a similar problem and had dealt with it before. Thanks for your
response. Good post.

John.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:38?pm, "John" wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:55 pm, "John" wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

John.- Hide quoted text -

a old neighbor of mine lived on the end of the block and had NO TREES
AT ALL!

Unfortunately prevailing winds filled his yard over 6 feet deep of
leaves every fall. You could not see him but just the leaves moving,
he raked and baged all fall.

Long dead now the current owners erected a 7 foot fence no doubt to
keep the leaves on the street.

I dont live there anymore but pass by occasionally and note such
changes.

if the OP trims the trees and makes the neighbor mad he might start a
neighborhood war.

best the OP NEVER does anything wrong EVER!

like play radio or tv loud in evening, have dog, barks or pees in
neighbors yard, the list of possible war material is endless..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

In your post, you did not give a location, so how could anyone from your
area give you pertinent advice? So, what's your next step? Ask and take
advice on what to do from someone who is a thousand miles away, and whose
advice could end you up in jail or court?

It's not too much to handle. Get some pertinent local advice, either from
your local authorities, or an attorney in your area.

Are you looking for the right and correct thing to do that will solve your
problem and expose you to the least amount of liability, or for the Dirty
Harry approach?

If you're looking for the Dirty Harry approach, just shoot his car and set
fire to his dog. That should get the ball moving.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

Any part of the tree that is on your property is yours to do as you please.

Posted to alt.home.repair

contact the local city arborist, they can advise you of your rights and
responsibilities in this instance .

"John" wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my

ryard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
thave a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?ngJohn

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

Because the law is different for trees than for a car that rolls onto your
lawn. It's that simple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You have a reading comprehension problem. Steve correctly explained that the
laws where we live may (and probably will be) different from the laws where
you live. Everyone here has good suggestions.

Is there a high school nearby? Call and find out if they have a program for
matching odd jobs with kids to want to earn some money. Pay a kid to rake
the leaves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more
nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in other parts of
the country have much to do with what can be done anywhere. The idea that
this issue is to much to handle is obvious in a few posts and not to be
unexpected on any usenet group. If I wanted to make a full blown legal issue
out if it I am sure a court would take into consideration what others are
doing in such cases. (I did not cross post to any gun groups)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more
nothing less.

I think those leaves have gotten to you, John. And I think that if you
cut all the overhanging branches three things are going to happen:

1) you're going to have some ugly m.f. trees to look at

2) you're gonna have one angry m.f. of a neighbor

3) the leaf reduction in your yard will be about 5%

If yard maintenance isn't your idea of meditative bliss, why not sell
the place and buy a condominium?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more
nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in other parts
of the country have much to do with what can be done anywhere.

Yeah, yeah.

But use some common sense.

First, you MUST know that some communities regulate how and whetehr you can
"trim" trees that are 100% on your own property.

The SMART thing is to get your neighbor to trim his own tree but offer to
"help" him. If that "works" then do nothing else.

Otherwise, proceed with great caution. Tell him (and back up with a
letter) what you intend to do and that you are doing it to protect your
property.

If you kill his tree (or his tree dies after you have done some "trimming"
he may become upset at you. It can cost as much to defend against a silly
suit as a justified suit so before you "trim" you should either have an idea
of the upper limit of any damages he might claim or have a "slam dunk" legal
opinion that your neighbor would have no case if his tree dies and you had
even gone so far as to cut all the roots on your side of the line.

If I were betting, I would say you can do what you want on "your side."
Utility workers take that approach when the install and maintain overhead
and underground utilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
There are six trees and I have been removing these leaves for many
years. It is finally getting to be a bit much. When your tires spin
when they get wet because the driveway is covered and you have to be
careful when you walk so you don't slip and your cars get covered
with stains it is time to have something done. Maybe if you had a
house and not a tin can in a trailer park you might have a clue.

Many years and you still haven't learned to wear golf shoes in the fall and
put your tire chains on early.

I'm afraid there's no hope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

If I were betting, I would say you can do what you want on "your side."
Utility workers take that approach when the install and maintain overhead
and underground utilities.

But utility workers have the legal advantage of an easement that says
they can do pretty much whatever they want to on their "area".
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want
them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang
over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking
him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in
the matter does anyone know?

Legal, schmegal. You may have the right to trim the trees but you're leaving
yourself open to guerilla retaliation.

You say you're not at this location for much of the year. How'd you like to
come back to find the place burned down, or condemned because of rat
infestation, or confiscated because pot was growing in the back yard or even
covered with graffiti?

You never know what will happen when you **** off a neighbor.

He's sitting over there, 24 hours a day, planning and scheming and devising.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "John" wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill?

Of course. The tree guy is going to send the bill to you, because you hired
him. You're perfectly free to send the bill to your neighbor. And he's
perfectly free to ignore it, too. And depending on what the law is wherever
you are, you may be facing a civil action, or possibly even misdemeanor
criminal charges, for trimming a tree that doesn't belong to you.

I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place where you
have trees. Or neighbors.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought someone might have had the same problem so I posed this question.
I see it is a bit much for some to handle.

Hmmm.. I had the same problem. I couldn't sleep in my bedroom at night
in the fall due to acorns falling on the roof of my house. I called
my neighbor and asked him if he would mind if I had the trees cut down
and split the cost with him. He said not to worry he would have them
removed and he did. It sounds like the problem is not the trees, it's
the way you deal and communicate with people. Try a different
approach when dealing with him. If that doesn't work, cut off all of
the branches that hang over your property. Throw them in a pile in
his back yard. Pour a gallon of gas on them and light it. See if
that gets his attention. g.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

If I were betting, I would say you can do what you want on "your side."
Utility workers take that approach when the install and maintain overhead
and underground utilities.

But utility workers have the legal advantage of an easement that says
they can do pretty much whatever they want to on their "area".

So? The property has a deed which essentially says the same thing. The
owner can't transfer rights via an easement that he doesn't have in the
first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 8:45 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "John" wrote:
[...]

In most areas of the US, you have the right to trim overhanging
branches of a tree that is located on your neighbor's property back to
the property line. But you do it at your own expense, unless the
neighbor chooses to help pay for it. To be sure legally, you should
consult a local lawyer, as some municipalities may have differing
laws.

As others have pointed out, there are other considerations. One
would be what will it look like after it's trimmed back? It could
very well make your house worth less, because now it looks like
hell. How much difference will it make? If you have to blow leaves
anyway, and it only reduces it by 25%, is it worth it? Are there any
plusses to these branches, like providing shade in the summer, or
blocking your view of you neighbor giving you the finger? Is it
worth likely getting into a ****ing match with the neighbor over
this? And how much are you willing to spend? To have tree guys
trim significant branches back on 6 large trees isn;t going to be
cheap.

You say you sent him countless letters, but did you first go over and
try to talk to him? The two things I can tell you for sure a

1 - If you didn't try to talk to the neighbor first, that was a big
mistake

2 - It's never the responsibility of the neighbor to trim branches
that overhang your property unless there is a safety issue, ie, the
tree is dying, the branches are rotten, could fall on your fence,
house, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"John" wrote:

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing
more nothing less.

I think those leaves have gotten to you, John. And I think that if you
cut all the overhanging branches three things are going to happen:

1) you're going to have some ugly m.f. trees to look at

2) you're gonna have one angry m.f. of a neighbor

3) the leaf reduction in your yard will be about 5%

If yard maintenance isn't your idea of meditative bliss, why not sell
the place and buy a condominium?

The house is occupied by the mother-in-law that is tired of removing them
from under her feet and what is left of her garden. Like I posted
previously I am dealing with someone that doesn't even mow his own lawn and
is an eye sore to everyone on the street. I don't plan on making anything
any more of an eye sore and feel if someone is to have trees they also have
a responsibility to maintain them properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning
property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with
others.

Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It has been
in the family for many decades and is maintained 100% including the past
removal of leaves and branches for some time. I think it is about time the
owners of the trees take some responsibility but they have refused to
respond to such requests. The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for
putting up with ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently
I am sure. Then again maybe not.

Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree? Mike O Home Repair 26 August 20th 18 08:51 PM
Trees and Neighbors RichK Home Repair 7 April 29th 06 03:54 AM
Musing about corks, old friends and olive branches Arch Woodturning 28 June 26th 05 11:52 AM
How to correctly split knots in branches for turning vodacekt Woodturning 1 March 7th 05 01:24 AM
What to do about bad neighbors mediate Home Ownership 0 January 27th 05 11:13 PM