Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

On Oct 21, 8:45 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "John" wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill?

Of course. The tree guy is going to send the bill to you, because you hired
him. You're perfectly free to send the bill to your neighbor. And he's
perfectly free to ignore it, too. And depending on what the law is wherever
you are, you may be facing a civil action, or possibly even misdemeanor
criminal charges, for trimming a tree that doesn't belong to you.

I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place where you
have trees. Or neighbors.

--
Regards,

In most areas of the US, you have the right to trim overhanging
branches of a tree that is located on your neighbor's property back to
the property line. But you do it at your own expense, unless the
neighbor chooses to help pay for it. To be sure legally, you should
consult a local lawyer, as some municipalities may have differing
laws.

As others have pointed out, there are other considerations. One
would be what will it look like after it's trimmed back? It could
very well make your house worth less, because now it looks like
hell. How much difference will it make? If you have to blow leaves
anyway, and it only reduces it by 25%, is it worth it? Are there any
plusses to these branches, like providing shade in the summer, or
blocking your view of you neighbor giving you the finger? Is it
worth likely getting into a ****ing match with the neighbor over
this? And how much are you willing to spend? To have tree guys
trim significant branches back on 6 large trees isn;t going to be
cheap.

You say you sent him countless letters, but did you first go over and
try to talk to him? The two things I can tell you for sure a

1 - If you didn't try to talk to the neighbor first, that was a big
mistake

2 - It's never the responsibility of the neighbor to trim branches
that overhang your property unless there is a safety issue, ie, the
tree is dying, the branches are rotten, could fall on your fence,
house, etc.